We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Kolkata
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Hi, I will be traveling to Cherrapunjee (3 nights) and Shillong (1 night) with my family (wife, 8 yr kid and seniors). We will be staying at Cherraounjee Resort in Cherra. Can you please suggest what are the things that we can do in 3 days at Cherra (not all need not be with the seniors)

Also would be great if you can suggest some car hire details from Guwahati to Cherrapunjee

Kolkata
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Reaching on 26th around 9 am. Return flight is on 30th at 7 pm. Booked for 3 nights in Cherra and 1 night at Shillong

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Since you will be reaching on the 26th ...the itenary I had earlier given you should be modified into:

26th Reach Guwahati at 9am- Leave airport by 10 am. - Leave for Cherrapunjee - Reach approx by 4.30-5.00pm. Taking into account 1-1.5 hour traffic. Well atleast the sun sets at 6pm in summers.

27th - Ask Cherra Holiday Resort to arrange a cab to Mawlynnong, Asia's cleanest village. Start early in the morning after breakfast at 7. First Spend 4 hours doing local sightseeing. Start for Mawlynnong at 11am. Reach there by 2pm. Ask the villagers to guide you around the village. Roam around the village. Have lunch in one of the village houses. See the Single Decker Living Root Bridge near the village. Return back to Cherra Holiday Resort by 6 pm. Reach by 9pm. Have Dinner. Halt

28th - This day,you can be break your group into two groups. You,your wife and any of the seniors who are fit can ask Cherra Holiday Resort to arrange a guide to take you to trek to the Double Decker Living Root Bridge. Leave in the morning after breakfast say 7 . Come back by 2pm and have lunch and relax.

The second group comprising the elder seniors and your 8 year old son can ask Cherra Holiday Resort to arrange a guide to take them on closer smaller and easier treks in the village and around the Resort.

After lunch from 4pm-6 pm, complete whatever left over local sightseeing, if at all remaining or simply relax.

Then in the evening as the resort to organize an outdoor bon-fire and some local and cultural programs. Halt

29th -Check out- Transfer to Shillong after breakfast. Leave Cherra by 8.00 am. On way to Shillong, visit Mawphlang Sacred Forest, Elephant Falls, Shillong Peak. If interested can stop at XSV paintball camp for your son. Continue to Shillong. have lunch by 1.30pm. post lunch visit Don Bosco Museum, Bishop and Beadon Falls. Evening do some shopping in Police Bazaar. Halt

30th - Have early breakfast and check out from Hotel by 8am. Visit Lady Hydari Park, Sweet Falls,Spread Eagle Falls, Wards lake and Golf Links. All this can be completed in 2 hours. Then Head for Guwahati. On the way stop by Nehru Park and Orchid Lake Water Sports Comple. This will take say 1-1.5 hours to complete both. So you will be leaving Umiam Lake by 12 pm. If no traffic, you should be reaching Airport by 3 pm. however say 2 hours traffic then you still will reach by 5pm.

My Advice:- Why don't you check out Shillong Airport. It has daily flights from Kolkata to Shillong except on Fridays. The Shillong Airport is just 35 kms away from Shillong while the Guwahati Airport is 125 kms.

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

As for the Pickup, A normal Indica tourist taxi will cost you Rs. 2000 to drop you from Guwahati Airport to Shillong City or per head basis is 250 per head. Then from Shillong to Cherrapunjee Holiday Resort, another Rs. 1500.

The Rates for an Innova are much more than that of a normal Indica. Considering its a bigger and more spacious vehicle it will be very comfortable in the hilly roads especially when you are having Elderly people and children around.. If there are more than four of you coming, then you will have too take two Indicas.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 14:47
Kolkata
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Thank you so much karikor1. Good to know that there are still such helpful people around who puts in so much effort for a complete stranger.

We will try to stick to your itinerary however, not sure how much energy we will have to check out all that you have mentioned considering my mother and aunt are both over 70 yrs.

We already have confirm tickets so canceling will entail charges. I guess I will go with the Innova. Thanks again for all your advice. We will be cheking in at Eee Cee Hotel at Shillong on 29th. Will be delighted to meet you in person if you can manage.

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Your Welcome Ujjal....My pleasure to help.

Hopefully if I am free, we can meet up in Shillong sometime on the 29th evening.

Anyway I still think I can do much better, this should help you better in planning how to go about it, here are the changes or improvements:

27th -Ask Cherra Holiday Resort to arrange a cab for the day. Start early in the morning after a light breakfast at 8.00am.

First Spend 3 hours doing local sightseeing. Start with the futher most and then come up, so start with Khoh Ramhah, next Thangkharang park, Noh Sngi Thiang Falls, Eco Park and Mawsmai Cave. Dont spend more than 30 mins in each site. All sites are easily accessible for elders except Mawsmai Cave. You and your son can enjoy travessing inside the lit up cave for 30 mins .

At 11-11.30 Am , stop at Avron Restaurant in Saitsohpen Locality of Cherrapunjee town, which is on the same route after Mawsmai Cave and relaxingly have early heavy lunch. You will get good Chinese and Indian Dishes. Even the rotis are pretty good there.

Then start for Mawlynnong at 12-12.30pm. Reach there by 3.30pm. Ask the villagers to guide you around the village. Roam around the village. Have tea and snacks in one of the village houses. See the Single Decker Living Root Bridge near the village. Return back to Cherra Holiday Resort by 6 pm. Reach by 9pm. Have Dinner. Halt

28th - This day,you can be break your group into two groups. You,your wife and any of the seniors who are fit can ask Cherra Holiday Resort to arrange a guide to take you to trek to the Double Decker Living Root Bridge. Leave in the morning after breakfast say 7 . Come back by 2pm and have lunch and relax.

The second group comprising the elder seniors and your 8 year old son can start their day late by 10-11 am. ask Cherra Holiday Resort to arrange a guide to take them on closer smaller and easier treks in the village and in and around the Resort.

After lunch from 3.30pm-6 pm, complete whatever left over local sightseeing or simply relax. In these two 2.5hours you can cover Dainthlen Falls and Nohkalikai falls (India's 4th tallest waterfall). If time permits, you can stop and have tea in Sa-I-Mika park. Back to the resort.

Then in the evening as the resort to organize an outdoor bon-fire and some local and cultural programs. Halt

29th -Check out- Transfer to Shillong after breakfast. Leave Cherra by 8.00 am. On way to Shillong, visit Mawphlang Sacred Forest, Elephant Falls, Shillong Peak. Continue to Shillong. have lunch by 1.00 pm. post lunch visit Don Bosco Museum, Bishop and Beadon Falls,Wards lake and Golf Links. Evening do some shopping in Police Bazaar till 8.30-9pm. After that have Dinner at City Hut Dhaba which is walking distance from Eee Cee Hotel. Halt

30th - Have breakfast and leave from Hotel by 9am. Visit Sweet Falls,Spread Eagle Falls and Lady Hydari Park. All this can be completed in 1.5 hours. Then Head for Guwahati. On the way stop by Nehru Park and Orchid Lake Water Sports Complex and have a cold drink in Orchid Lake Resort. This will take say 1-1.5 hours to complete both. So you will be leaving Umiam Lake by 12 pm. If no traffic, you should be reaching Airport by 3 pm. however say 2 hours traffic then you still will reach by 5pm.

Karikor

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Your Welcome Ujjal....My pleasure to help.

Hopefully if I am free, we can meet up in Shillong sometime on the 29th evening.

Anyway I still think I can do much better, this should help you better in planning how to go about it, here are the changes or improvements:

27th -Ask Cherra Holiday Resort to arrange a cab for the day. Start early in the morning after a light breakfast at 8.00am.

First Spend 3 hours doing local sightseeing. Start with the futher most and then come up, so start with Khoh Ramhah, next Thangkharang park, Noh Sngi Thiang Falls, Eco Park and Mawsmai Cave. Dont spend more than 30 mins in each site. All sites are easily accessible for elders except Mawsmai Cave. You and your son can enjoy travessing inside the lit up cave for 30 mins .All sites are in the same route.

At 11-11.30 Am , stop at Avron Restaurant in Saitsohpen Locality of Cherrapunjee town, which ia also on the same route after Mawsmai Cave and relaxingly have an early heavy lunch. You will get good Chinese and Indian Dishes. Even the rotis are pretty good there.

Then start for Mawlynnong at 12-12.30pm. Reach there by 3.30pm. Ask the villagers to guide you around the village. Roam around the village. Have tea and snacks in one of the village houses. See the Single Decker Living Root Bridge near the village. Return back to Cherra Holiday Resort by 6 pm. Reach by 9pm. Have Dinner. Halt

28th - This day,you can be break your group into two groups. You,your wife and any of the seniors who are fit can ask Cherra Holiday Resort to arrange a guide to take you to trek to the Double Decker Living Root Bridge. Leave in the morning after breakfast say 7am . Come back by 2pm and have lunch and relax.

The second group comprising the elder seniors and your 8 year old son can start their day late by 10-11 am. ask Cherra Holiday Resort to arrange a guide to take them on closer smaller and easier treks in the village and in and around the Resort.

After lunch from 3.30pm-6 pm, complete whatever left over local sightseeing or simply relax. In these two 2.5hours you can cover Dainthlen Falls and Nohkalikai falls (India's 4th tallest waterfall). If time permits, you can stop and have tea in Sa-I-Mika park. Back to the resort.

Then in the evening ask the resort to organize an outdoor bon-fire and some local and cultural programs. Halt

29th -Check out- Transfer to Shillong after breakfast. Leave Cherra by 9.00 am. On way to Shillong, visit Mawphlang Sacred Forest, Elephant Falls, Shillong Peak. Continue to Shillong. have lunch by 1.30 pm. post lunch visit Don Bosco Museum, Bishop and Beadon Falls,Wards lake and Golf Links. Evening do some shopping in Police Bazaar till 8.30-9pm. After that have Dinner at City Hut Dhaba which is walking distance from Eee Cee Hotel. Halt

30th - Have breakfast and leave from Hotel by 9am. Visit Sweet Falls,Spread Eagle Falls and Lady Hydari Park. All this can be completed in 1.5 hours. Then Head for Guwahati. On the way stop by Nehru Park and Orchid Lake Water Sports Complex and have a cold drink in Orchid Lake Resort. This will take say 1-1.5 hours to complete both. So you will be leaving Umiam Lake by 12 pm. If no traffic, you should be reaching Airport by 3 pm. however say 2 hours traffic then you still will reach by 5pm.

Karikor

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

My post at 22.00 should be treated as cancelled and the post at 22.08 as the correct one.

Kolkata
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Thank you so much Karikor1.

I have a daughter and not a son :-)

Will definitely follow your advice and schedule and hopefully we all can have dinner together at City Hut Dhaba. You can share your contact details to um_30@yahoo.com

Ujjal

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Oh,

So sorry. I assumed wrongly. Hopefully I will be in town on that day and we can meet. Anyway if you have any problems or any doubts please feel free to ask,

Regards,

Karikor

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cherrapunjee and Shillong trip in May 2012

Dear Ujjal,

It was really nice meeting you and your family. And I am so happy that my itenary worked out superbly for you guys. I'm glad you stuck to the plan of staying in Cherrapunjee, rather than Shillong. And I know you were relieved that you did not have to make the day trips to and fro from Shillong. I hope you will be coming back for more.

Expecting to see your reviews of the places visited, Hotels stayed and resturants on TA soon.

(P.S- Next time we can try for a more adventurous trip and rope in Outdoor camping, Trekking, caving, water sports etc)

Regards,

Karikor Kharkongor