We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

Which Shillong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta...
8 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

Dear Tripadvisor members -

I shall be pleased to get suggestions from you about my forthcoming family trip to Meghalaya with my wife and a small child of 3 years. I intend to reach Guwahati airport on 10.10.2013 at 14.05 from Kolkata and shall take the return flight on 16.10.2013 at 9.55 from the same airport. I have a moderate budget and trekking of any sort is out of question. Preferences : Nature's beauty, view of cloud strolling over the hills and kamakhya temple visit. Thanks.

Dr. Tapas Kumar Majumdar

Edited: 14 July 2013, 08:13
India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

DRTKM

Itinerary -

10/10 Arr Guwahati and transfer to Shillong

11/10 Shillong local s/s

12/10 Shillong - Mawlynnong - Shillong

13/10 Shillong > Cherrapunji, sightseeing, overnight stay

14/10 To Mausinram and back to Shillong

15/10 Shillong to Guwahati, Kamakshya Temple

16/10 Fly out.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 08:27
Kolkata (Calcutta...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

Dear AshisRoy - Many thanks for the prompt reply. This may serve as my basic plan. However, for developing a good itinerary, please help me with finer details. How long it takes to travel from Shillong to Mawlynnong, Shillong to Sohra, Sohra to Mausinram and Mausinram to Shillong? Can I stay at Mawlynnong and Mausinram instead of returning to Shillong? Can I return straight from Mausinram to Guwahati? Will it be very tiring?

Surely, I have to hire a car but what are the costs?

Dr. Tapas Kumar Majumdar

Edited: 14 July 2013, 13:20
India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

DRTKM

Travel time Shillong to Mawlynnong = 2.5 hrs, Shillong to Sohra = 2 hrs, Sohra to Mausinram can be done via Shillong. You can stay in Mawlynnong. But there is no recommended accommodation in Mausinram. You should return to Guwahati from Shillong.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 13:44
Kolkata (Calcutta...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

Dear AshishRoy -

Many thanks. Please give me a rough idea of cost involved and recommendations for hotels , if you please.

Two more questions : 1. what about the political and racial feelings during Durga Puja times?

2. Can we visit a smaller living root bridge anywhere without much trekking? It would really be a loss not to see a thing unique in the world!

Dr. Tapas Kumar Majumdar

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

DRTKM

May stay in Aura Cottage, near Ward's Lake, Deluxe Family Suite Room Rs. 2400, Deluxe Double Bed Room Rs.1950, Standard Double Bed Room Rs.1550. Ayan D. Gupta/+91-9830048785. + 91-33-22132498/ 2778. eco.tourism@yahoo.co.in

OR Polo Towers, Hotel Pegasus Crown, Centre Point, Embassy, Pine Borough.

There is no political issues in Meghalaya.

You can see the living root bridge just before entering Mawlynnong. About 3km (both way) walk is needed to reach the bridge.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 17:51
Kolkata (Calcutta...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

Dear AshisRoy -

You are very helpful indeed. Thanks a lot.

Dr. Tapas Kumar Majumdar

Kolkata (Calcutta...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

Dear AshisRoy -

I was just viewing Google maps. There is an alternate route from Sohra to Mausinram via Tyrna - the sohra-sella road. Do you advice to go by that route? It seems to be a lot shorter than the route via Shillong.

What are the main attractions there?

8. Re: Planning a trip to Meghalaya with wife and child of 3 years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:19