We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hersonissos Car Hire

Lincoln
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Hersonissos Car Hire

I was amazed to find car hire for 196 euros (14 days in September) today, albiet for a small Fiat Seicento.

The company can be found at hersonissos-car-hire.co.uk. The price is so good I am naturally a bit wary. Is anybody familiar with them?

Another reason for being wary is that the last time we hired a small car in Crete 2 years ago we picked it up in the small hours at the airport with a full tank of petrol and, we later learned we had been charged well over the odds for for the fuel.

Is this how they make their money? i.e. a low headline price, but you pay through the nose for the full tank?

kind regards,

boydell7.

Maldon, Essex, UK
Level Contributor
136 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hersonissos Car Hire

boydell. I've never used that particular firm but the smaller type companies we use certainly don't do the same with the fuel.

Normally all they ask is that you take it back with the same amount in as it had when you picked it up. As I normally pay cash, which a lot of the local campanies are happy with, they've no way of charging me anyway. But as I use the same 2/3 guys dependant on the best price 3/4 times each year I try to make sure I keep reasonably to that.

I suspect the major companies like europcar, Hertz etc probably apply the fule rule very strictly & will undoubtedly charge a premium to refill. They can then charge your credit card. Simples!

Pete

Lincoln
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hersonissos Car Hire

Thanks for your reply Hooly,

Perhaps I should have mentioned that 2 years ago we had booked the car for 14 days, and their argument would have been that if our hotel was 150 miles away at the other end of the island in the middle of the night we might not be able to find a petrol station open and run the risk of running out of petrol. Also, that we would be likely to use at least one full tank in that period of time.

But this time we will be booking for 13 days and picking it up at our hotel in the middle of the day.

As you suggest, I would much rather return the car with the same amount of fuel in it and not involve the hirer with fuel at all.

kind regards,

boydell7.

3. Re: Hersonissos Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 06:36
Get answers to your questions about Hersonissos