We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

San Francisco
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

My flight will arrive at around 8:30AM in Heraklion and I won't be able to check into the hotel until 2PM. What is there to do in between? I will probably take the bus from the airport to hersonissos as I'll have a lot of time. How long does that take? Any ideas on what else to do?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

Hi there

Assuming you land on time at 0830, it will take you around 45-60 minutes to clear the airport. There are no jetways at Iraklion airport, the plane taxis to a parking space, and then you disembark onto those huge Cobus buses and they take you to the terminal where you then have entry formalities and baggage claim.

OK, you're outside the terminal, walk around to the right and follow the road round to the left, the bus stops are along there. Any bus heading for Hersonissios, Stalis and Malia will drive along the main drag in Hersonissos where there are several bus stops. Ask the driver for the one closest to your hotel. Ride takes about 40 mins and there will be a bus along every 15-20 mins

Even though you can't check in, most hotels will let you leave your bags in a safe area. So, drop your bags, it'll be around 1030 by now. Have a walk around Hersonissos, walk down to the seafront, and walk west towards the harbour. There's the old Roman Fountain plus the pretty church that overlooks the harbour. Walk out onto the brekwater, lots of good photo opportunities there as the fisherman are doing their stuff.

Walk back east along the beachfront, there are more bars, cafes and restaurants than you can count. Have a couple of beers, a bite to eat, no one will care how long you sit there for as long as you have bought something. Before you know it, it'll be 1.30 and time to walk to the hotel.

2. Re: What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 August 2017, 21:51
San Francisco
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

Thanks guys. I got these replies the day after I needed them :-D Anyway, I got to the airport, asked a policeman where the bus stop was and he directed me to the little shack. The guys there told me I had to take the bus to Heraklion then change. So I paid something like 1.50EUR and did that and when I got to Heraklion had to walk about 400m to the main bus station where I paid 3EUR something to go to Hersonissos with a different company. Once in the bus, we drove back past the airport again, stopping across the street from the little shack about 100m down the road to pick up people who, unlike me, actually knew what they were doing. So the guys from one company told me to take their bus, rather than to walk across the street and wait for the bus from the other company. Anyway, I had time to burn so 1.50EUR extra was no biggie. I think the taxi direct from the airport would have been around 45EUR

Edited: 27 August 2013, 10:45
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

Hi there

Good to hear back from you, not sure what the guys at the airport were on about, there's just the one bus company on Crete, namely KTEL and any bus leaving Iraklion centre heading east will come through the airport. Maybe they were locals who simply didn't know about the buses? No harm done anyway.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

These were the bus drivers. Apparently there are two different bus companies running different routes

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
800 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

Hi there

Unfortunately they sent you to the bus stop on the nearside of the road which is the Heraklion bound one. As I said in my above post, the Hersonissos eastbound bus stop is on the other side of the road as you look out from the terminal building (which you found out when you came back through!)

Anyway, as you intimated in your post, there was no harm done other than minimal additional cost and a bit of extra time getting to your accom. I trust you had a good holiday.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 17:56
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

Hi again

There is just the one bus company on Crete, they probably misunderstood you and as npj says, sent you to the wrong bus stop.

8. Re: What to do before checking into Hersonissos hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Hersonissos