We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

Which Hersonissos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

We had to return our rental car with the fuel registering about the same as when we had collected it, usual practice.

I reckoned we required about €20 worth so we stopped at the large Eko (?) garage which sits just to the side of the main road that runs between Stalis and Hersonissos, right by Star Beach waterpark.

I asked the attendent for €20 worth, he duly put the pump into the fuel filler and started the job. I had my back to the pump so didn't observe the dials moving, he finished filling us up, took the money and flatly refused to give me a receipt. I asked him for one twice but he wouldn't budge, all he said was " very busy" which was crap as we were the only car on the forecourt.

We drove away, certain that he had pocketed the cash and then noticed that the fuel gauge hadn't altered. At €1,85 per litre, €20 worth is about 11 litres and in our small Peugeot 206, that should have registered on the gauge. I even pulled over onto flat ground and waited for a few seconds but the gauge didn't alter.

So, he had seemingly started the pump, but had pumped no petrol, no doubt banking on me not turning around to look at the pump dial, then pocketed the cash without any offer of a receipt.

So, look out if you stop for fuel here, the guy involved is very dark, with a bushy moustache, possibly not a local Greek. Watch the dial and make sure you get the fuel you pay for.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

Oh no!

The same petrol station is also very expensive for unleaded, as from what I saw they don't have standard ul 95, so you have to buy the premium product at €1.90 or so.

I always get out and watch what's happening, after a similar stunt was pulled on me in the former Yugoslavia in my own car many years ago.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

Steve, 206s all have a 50 litre fuel capacity, so we're talking about a fifth of a tank here, we were almost on empty so there's no way that 11 litres wouldn't have registered on the dial. He certainly caught me with that one, fortunately when I returned the car the hirers didn't worry about the fuel. Neverthelss, this chap seems to be on a nice little earner, until the day he's found out.

staffs
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

Thankyou for the information. We are visiting Koutouloufari next week and had every intention of hiring a car for a few days, after reading the forums about car hire scams and now petrol scams maybe we'll stick with the local transport instead? Saddened to hear this as its not typical of the Greece we've come to love and hope its not a regular occurence.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

Dusty, there's a filling station halfway down the hill into Hersonissos on the right as you head towards the town. usually fill up there and never had any issues. At the end of it, if you watch the pump, they can't rip you off.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

''the guy involved is very dark, with a bushy moustache, possibly not a local Greek''..

such a frustrating subject here(the next bubble after the economy that is going to burst)...,doing my best not to start with it

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

What a rotten end to your holiday, GB. It is such a shock when something like that happens, especially as the majority of Greek people you encounter are still so honest and trustworthy. Thanks for the warning, we will always keep an eye on the pump from now on!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

Athanasios, I hope I haven't offended you, I certainly didn't mean to, I just wanted to post a warning. Most of your countrymen are quite stocky, this guy is tall and very thin, was very poorly dressed and has an even darker complexion that most Greeks have, maybe I should write " probably not a local Greek" rather than "possibly not a local Greek".

Bristolians, I mentioned this to the chap who owns the apartments we stayed in and he wasn't overly surprised although he did say that the fines for such practices are colossal should the guy be found out, not just for swindling the customers, but for not handing out receipts as well. Everywhere else we went, it was very noticeable that we got a receiot for everything, never even had to ask.

8. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 17:51
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

Just a thought - I suggest you don't get out of the car - it immediately flags you as a tourist (I know the stickers on the hire car do this too!).

Ask for petrol in greek if you possibly can - either by the no of euros -(rough phonectic pronounciations) - eg 'eikosi evro parakalo' (20 euros please) or 'yamato' (full) & specify 'aplo' = simple ie the basic not high octane.

If they won't give you a receipt, tell them you would like to call the police - it is a big & serious offence & I'd guess you'll get a receipt with this threat.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Petrol station in Hersonissos, watch out for a scam

I always get out of the car, when I fill the tank with petrol. I check if they fill me from the low octane pump. I never ask for a full tank, as at the end they push the handle so air gets in with petrol. I say for example 30 euros, he pushes the buttons and leaves the pump till it ends. None messes with the handle.

It is a very serious offence for tax evading if they don't issue a receipt, so calling the authorities will cause them very serious trouble that they want to avoid. Do note that the authorities exaggerate when they come to check, and the fines sometimes will end up maybe closing a business, so you have to be reasonable. A simple "I call the police" will make him give you the receipt, which is the objective, rather than actually calling it.

Get answers to your questions about Hersonissos