We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toilet progress?

england
Level Contributor
137 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
toilet progress?

Hi, we are going to serita beach on tues & was wondering what the sanitry situation is like in crete? last time we went to greek islands you had to place all your toilet paper in waste paper bins has this changed now? is it ok to flush toilet paper down the loo many thanks for any info

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toilet progress?

Hi there

I can't speak for your specific choice of hotel, but the vast majority of toilets anywhere in Greece still require you to deposit paper in the bin by the side.

Some of the later hotels that have built in the last few years may have better arrangements, i.e. their plumbing systems are wider to accommodate paper waste, but certainly don't bank on it. Remember though that the maids will clear the bins every day and if you buy a box of scented nappy sacks from Boots or Superdrug into which you place the paper, there will be no odour.

england
Level Contributor
137 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: toilet progress?

ok thank you very much for that ,wife just on way now to by scented nappy sacks,guess we will need them as all four of us in a large family room,but as long as maids clean everyday it shouldnt be a problem,cant wait to get there now roll on tuesday.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toilet progress?

We're heading out on Tuesday too, Monarch from Manchester?

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: toilet progress?

We didn't get our bin emptied every day (probablt around every other) but even then there was no problem with bad odour.

portsmouth
Level Contributor
197 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: toilet progress?

When i was in hersonissos last september we could flush paper down the loos in our hotel and every bar and restaurant we went to

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: toilet progress?

Every bar and restaurant? Are you sure?

I've visited Greece (various islands) around 10 times and my partner worked in Athens for over 3 years and neither of us have yet been anywhere in the country you could flush paper down the toilet.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: toilet progress?

I was in several areas in Greece last year and there was only 1 place that had a sign that said paper could not be put into the toilets.

However, just because they didn't have a sign doesn't mean they really want you to put paper in their toilets. I had read in a guide book that you weren't supposed to do that, but I completely forgot until I saw that sign.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: toilet progress?

Many places won't have a sign but the bin at the side of the toilet says it all really.

As I said previously my partner worked in Athens (a holiday area just outside) for 3 years first building apartments and then the general maintenance once they were complete. He told me a story once of a family who, despite being told ignored the message and just put their paper down the toilet. One day he was called out because they could no longer flush and the problem was so bad they had to be moved to a different apartment while he and his mate had to take the whole system out and dig up the drains to clear the blockage, not a nice job, especially in 35 degree heat. As you can imagine we never forget when we're out there and as I said the bin at the side is the dead give away.

9. Re: toilet progress?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 00:20
Get answers to your questions about Hersonissos