We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Svalbard in the first week of March

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
israel
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Svalbard in the first week of March

Hi, we're planning a trip to Tromso at the first week of march in order to watch the Aurora, when It just hit me that if we're already going this north - maybe we should visit Svalbard as well...

I visited svalbard.net but couldn't quite understand if there's anything to see at at March... I guess what we're aiming is seeing polar bears..

Is it worth going there this time of the year?

Also, harsh question- Will it leave us broke? :)

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

There are quite a few activities offered on Svalbard in March, dogsledding trips, snowmobile trips, visit to ice cave etc. You'll find all information on svalbard.net if you click your way through the menus.

Daylight is back on Svalbard in March, not a bad time to visit. Transport, accommodation, food and tours are quite expensive, for obvious reasons. Best chances to see polar bears are in summer from a cruise around the island.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,262 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

Svalbard does not have any roads so you can not just go around on your own. Not cheap.

Longyearbyen, Norway
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

There is a lot to see :) Snowmobile trips, Dogsleding and 40 Km of Road. Mining History etc. Check out those guys here.

www.spitzbergen-adventures.com

Maybe they can help you planing something cool :)

israel
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

Hey, thank you all for the responds.

we're checking our options though i'm admitting that the main reason we want to visit Svalbard is because of the polar bears and if there isn't much chance of seeing any on March... :\

Longyearbyen, Norway
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

Well,that's not true.We just had fresh Polarbear Prints at the Cabin's across the fjord near the City.There are aprox :3500 Bears on the Island and from End February until May is a good Chance to see them.But you need to go on a Snowmobile tour outside the City to have a real Chance of seeing them!:)

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

Svalbard ARE LOVELY!!!

Go there if you have a chance, and I can promise you; You will soon go back again..;)

I have been there 4 times, but haven`t seen polar bears yet, but that have never been my wish. It`s just the nature and the atmosphere...

Go on a guided snowmobile trip to the Russian village Barentsburg, a tour you never will forget...

And for little bit better comfort, pay little extra for a better snowmobile!!

The hotels in "the city" are quite expensive, so check out the guest house in Nybyen. I think I paid around 600 per night when I was there last year.

You can fly to Longyearbyen from Tromsø with http://sas.no

Enjoy!

LYR
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

Hi limpingfist,

at your very first post you have asked if it is worth to go there in March. If you like winter and adventure feeling, then this is actually the best time go there. In March also the sun is officially coming back, so the city is full of party and events. If you go to Tromsø anyway, then its a must to go to Svalbard, its so bloody nice.

Later you have told that one of your main intention is to see polar bears.

Im my experience its one of the best time to discover those. But be aware, this is no Zoo and the bears have no schedule when they appear. so its also a matter of luck. I recomment to go into direction Isfjørd Radio / Eastcost. Thats where I saw the most. But please take a proper guide, this can also be dangerous.

At last, I understand that you dont have that big budget for it, is that right?

Well, there are quite some nice offers, for example this one spitzbergen-adventures.de/en/… .

it would be a pleasure for me if I can help you to find a suitable solution for you. If you like, contact me directly. Just check you my profile here to find the address.

Have a good one

israel
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

Hi all

So for now, the plan is this:

8.3 flight from Oslo to Tromso, where we'll stay 3 nights in order to search for the Aurora.

11.3 fly to Longyearbyen, land there at 13:55 -> I guess we'll have to check in the hotel first, and what activity can we do now,

except touring the city for the 3 remaining daylight hours? I couldn't find any aurora-searching-trips this season in Svalbard (in case we will miss it in Tromso)

12.3 Since that main reason we're there is wildlife, we'll take a snowmobile trip to the eastcoast. we're having doubts about the next day:

Our flight back home from Oslo is on the 15th.

The option are -

1. Fly back to Oslo on the 13th, and enjoy 2 last-relaxing night on Oslo.

2. Stay in Longyearbyen for another night (the 13th) and flying back to a last night on Oslo on the 14th..

What do you say? My main concern is that we're flying all the way to Svalbard and ending with only 2 nights.. But is there another day trip

we can do on the 13th, with wildlife in it? Do walrus and seals only visible at the summer, while on cruises?

Or is two night on Svalbard enough for your opinion and we should head back to Oslo?

Another question about the snowmobile trips - I see that the prices list is divided into Driver - Passenger. Does it mean that each snowmobile can carry two people? (as we're two, but I guess both of us will want to be the drivers)

Sorry about all of the questions, We're really excited about the trip and want to make the best of it!

thanks

LYR
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

Hello Limpingfish,

yes that’s a lot of questions, so let’s start at the top.

- Aurora searching on Svalbard

There are no offered trips, because you don’t have to go out and search.

Just look up to the air when its dark and if there are northern lights (aurora), then you see it on Svalbard even better.

(background, in Longyearbyen is not such a light pollution like in other bigger cities)

- Wild life and only two days on Svalbard.

Going into the direction to eastcoast is a good idea in order to get some wildlife.

But I recommend to stay at least three days on Svalbard, otherwise it might be a bit stress for you.

- Wild life and (walrus and seals)

This you will only see in the “summer”, when the ice cover has disappeared from water

- Snowmobile trips, driver and passenger

Yes, the standard snowmobile can carry two people and that’s the reason for the price division

Following proposals for you

- Concerning your limited time

You could combine your intention of seeing aurora with Svalbard.

Means, instead of spending 3 nights in Tromsø for searching aurora you could spend only one to two nights there.

The aurora you see anyway and even better on Svalbard and in the same way you have more time to spend there.

In that way you can use your time more effectively

- Snowmobile trips, aurora searching, different prices

Have in mind that the prices for snowmobile trips are only list prices.

Therefore I recommend to book a package, means snowmobile, guide, hotel (or guesthouse).

The advantage is that you are not fixed on any tour, so you can decide spontaneous where to go, depending on weather and wildlife. Also you have the guide who can advise and join you beside the tours for finding auroras and everything else.

And princely its anyway the best. Just ask the spitzbergen adventures guys for non-committal proposal.

I hope this was helpfully for you

israel
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Svalbard in the first week of March

Thanks alot for the extended reply and answers!

We're checking our options and precise flights dates, then we'll update.