We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with a day in Ny Alesund?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with a day in Ny Alesund?

We have a day in Ny Alesund on our P & O cruise aboard the Oriana next month. The ship has yet to suggest any trips.

We would welcome any suggestions about possible activities or, indeed, to hear of fellow forum-users experiences. Any indications of involved costings would be useful too!

Many thanks!

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
719 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with a day in Ny Alesund?

Are you sure you are coming to NY Ålesund, and just not to ÅLESUND?

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
943 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with a day in Ny Alesund?

Ny Aalesund is on Svalbard, do not think cruise ships go to this small village.

If Aalesund on mainland north-west it depends on the time you have, see visitNorway pages for info

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with a day in Ny Alesund?

This cruise actually goes to Ny Ålesund in Svalbard (Spitsbergen).

This is a tiny place, population 30-35, mostly scientists on the research stations. I expect the cruise company wil organize some excursion in a smaller boat to see some wildlife and possibly go ashore. I don't think you have any other option.

bristol
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with a day in Ny Alesund?

Just come across this forum, we have booked on this cruise as well. One of the main reasons is because it takes us far north to places not easily seen. As far as I can tell P and O will get us ashore by tender, I hope their on board talk gives us the info we need. Having looked at websites for ny alesund and svalbard, it looks like it is possible to walk around and post a card from the most northerly post box in the world!

I guess there is nothing organised, but we will be quite happy to get ashore and explore. I also guess those scientists currently there will come and look at us - we will be a break from their routine!.

Hope the weather is not too bad there.

rossw

bristol
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with a day in Ny Alesund?

Just come across this forum, we have booked on this cruise as well. One of the main reasons is because it takes us far north to places not easily seen. As far as I can tell P and O will get us ashore by tender, I hope their on board talk gives us the info we need. Having looked at websites for ny alesund and svalbard, it looks like it is possible to walk around and post a card from the most northerly post box in the world!

I guess there is nothing organised, but we will be quite happy to get ashore and explore. I also guess those scientists currently there will come and look at us - we will be a break from their routine!.

Hope the weather is not too bad there.

rossw

6. Re: What to do with a day in Ny Alesund?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 05:15