We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spitsbergen - MS Polar Star

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Manitou Springs...
1 post
Save Topic
Spitsbergen - MS Polar Star

I am looking for some reviews or information about the MS Polar Star and in particular a company we booked with - Hurtigruten for a 9 day cruise in June around Spitsbergen. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,812 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spitsbergen - MS Polar Star

Hi Ken,

and welcome to the forum.

Put something like "Hurtigruten - Spitsbergen" in the search option on the top left of this page, and you will find reviews and similar requests from other travellers.

Also look up the "review" sticker on the top of this page to find whether there are other reviews available there.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spitsbergen - MS Polar Star

As you have already booked I am not too sure what you want to know. I have travelled with Hurtigruten on their coastal ferries in Norway. The boats are comfortable and food is good. I guess the Polar Star will be similar albeit smaller. We have also booked to travel around Spitsbergen but on the Fram which is larger.

This web site may help you as there is extra information and details of ships logs which will give you an idea of life on board and ashore.

spitsbergentravel.com/Start/…

Have a great trip, I can't wait to go, hope we see some polar bears and whales.

Edited: 30 January 2011, 12:37
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,585 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spitsbergen - MS Polar Star

The only thing I could say that "Polar Star" is an old lady that has been refurbished whilst "Fram" is a brand new ship. The advantage is that "Polar Star" only takes 100 passengers and would offer a more intimate cruise than her bigger sister which can carry over 300.

Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spitsbergen - MS Polar Star

I have worked with the Polar Star in the past booking for clients and they have all been very happy with the level and quality of service they have recevied. As already pointed out above, the Polar Star is smaller than the Fram (100 vs. 400).

To me this is a bonus as it makes for a more intimate experience during your time in Spitsbergen. You will be spending a lot of time off ship doing landings and zodiac cruises with your guides and fellow passenger.

Polar Star is a great little ship and you are going to have a great time in Spitsbergen. It;s a really special place.

You might find some more useful information on my site www.newhorizonexpeditions.com. If you have any other questions about Spitsbergen I'd be happy to advise.

Dreieich
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spitsbergen - MS Polar Star

I read the Polar Star owner is bankrupt and the future of the ship is not yet decided. Here is a website in german about it:

cruisetricks.de/reederei-der-polar-star-ist-…

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,585 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spitsbergen - MS Polar Star

Found more info in English

…blogspot.com/2011/05/ms-polar-star-season-h…

7. Re: Spitsbergen - MS Polar Star

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 00:16