We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

norwegian fjords cruise

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
nj
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Topic
norwegian fjords cruise

Planning on 18 days Ocean Princess cruise Land of Midnight Sun, from Dover to Spitsbergen in June. would like to know if the seas are rough all through North Cape? Was told crossing North Sea is very choppy. I'm sensitive to motion sickness.

Also, can we tour the port cities on our own? Didnt want to book any expensive excursions with the cruiseline.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Spitzbergen Adventures
Hiking Trails, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Ski & Snow Tours
Svalbard Villmarkssenter - Day Tours
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Henningsen Day Tours
Ghost Towns, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

Bergen, Ålesund, Trondheim, Tromsø and Murmansk are cities you may explore on your own. In Flåm you can also travel on the Flåm railway on your own. At the other ports of call, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Gravdal, Honningsvåg and Ny Ålesund you need transportation, the excursions offered by the cruise line are the best or only option.

Most of the voyage along the coast of Norway is in sheltered waters, but you must be prepared for some rolling on the legs to Murmansk and Spitzbergen, and the North Sea can also be choppy.

nj
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Might have to replan this trip.

Maybe, just the 12 days North Cape & Norwegian Fjords. w/out going to the Berents Sea? Would I be missing a lot?

I really want to see the famous fjords & all the beautiful sceneries of Norway. or better yet, start my trip from Bergen.

Regards,

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,006 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

Svalbard (Spitzbergen) is of course something special, really arctic (Norway mainland is not), I am not sure about chances of seeing great wildlife (polar bears etc).

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,989 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

As far as I know the large cruise ships do not stick to the sheltered waters like the Hurtigruten ships do.

A friend who has cruised with P & O said the cruise ships go out to sea at night to 'waste time'. The sailing times between ports is often quite short and so they sail out to sea at night and then arrive at the next port in the morning. This may affect how you view a cruise.

However the Hurtigruten ships very much stick to the sheltered waters, sailing between all the islands and skerries. It is only once they reach the far north that they sail in more open water. The scenery is spectacular and all the time you are calling in at small ports and cities. There are organised tours but the downside is that you will only be able to spend a limited time at any one port. The north bound ships divert down Geiranger fjord in summer.

This may be a compromise if you are worried about motion sickness. I used bands and they worked very well in combatting motion sickness. I'll use them again this year when we cruise around Spitsbergen.

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

what is the ship carribean princess like, planning a trip to norweigan fjords and iceland in july, any comments re standards

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,006 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

Sorry, I don't understand your question

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,989 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

Think you would better to post this question on the cruise forum.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

google is your friend

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/cb/

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

thank you for your replies.. cruising from southampton, stopping bergen, olden, hellesylt, greinger, aalesund noray. akureyri & reykjavik iceland

for a day or part of, any suggestions on what to see and transport at any]

of these ports, as cruiseline trip very expensive.

has anyone sailed with Carribean princess cruise to the fjords and iceland,

and what did you think of it.

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,006 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: norwegian fjords cruise

Your question is very cruise specific, perhaps try the other forum.

At Bergen and Ålesund you don't need transport. You can easily stroll around directly from dock.

At Hellesylt there is nothing to do, unless you go on the overland transport to Geiranger and board again there.

At Geiranger you need transport to get to the best

panorama points. If not you are stuck in the small village.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Norway…

At Olden you need transport if you want to visit the glacier. There are local buses, but depends if it fits your schedule.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Las_fl…

Get answers to your questions about Spitsbergen