We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Month to See Polar Bears......

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Longyearbyen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
945 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Best Month to See Polar Bears......

My husband and I are interested in visiting Spitsbergan sometime in the future and have questions.

What months are better for polar bear sightings on land tours from Longyearbyen ??

Is it possible to book polar bear land tours after arrival or should we book earlier?

Is it possible to book a cruise around the island at the last minute after arrival??

How terrible is the weather in the winter months? We would like to see the northern lights.

Thank you,

Jane

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Month to See Polar Bears......

Please read previous topic on Polar Bears: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190455-i550-k5479…

The best way to catch a glimpse of them is to go on an expedition cruise around the eastern coast of Spitsbergen, These cruises are only possible in July and August.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,794 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Month to See Polar Bears......

I'm not too sure that there are land based polar bear tours. These are very dangerous animals, last year a British lad was killed by a polar bear in Spitsbergen. Try Spitsbergen Travel, they may know.

The only chance of seeing one, and then it's not guaranteed, is by an expedition cruise and then it is just chance. You would need to allow a week and I don't think you can book when you arrive in Longyearbyen. They tend to book up quickly as they are small ships. And do remember you don't get that close. We saw bears on 3 occasions, once on the shore line from a zodiac and another twice they were in the distance through binoculars.

Go to Spitsbergen for other reasons, the wildlife, bird life and spectacular scenery, not just to try and see Polar Bears.

Have a good trip if you go.

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
945 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Month to See Polar Bears......

OK, thanks. Forget the bears.

I am thinking about going in March as an add-on to another trip.....so what can I expect to see/do then??

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,794 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Month to See Polar Bears......

Have a look at this web site and it will tell you whats on offer.

http://www.spitsbergentravel.com/Start/

5. Re: Best Month to See Polar Bears......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 22:16