We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike rental in june?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Longyearbyen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Apeldoorn
Level Contributor
160 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Bike rental in june?

Does anyone know if it's possible to rent a bike for a day to cycle around the town for a day? Any hints on where to find this? And how much do I have to keep Polar Bears in mind.. from what I read is that they stay out of the town center.. but is it a concern for me? I am not really planning any mountain biking.. just around the town..

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,656 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike rental in june?

The town is so small you do not need a bike. You will be able to walk the grand circle walk in an hour or so. In daylight it is considered safe to walk as far as Huset Restaurant. Outside these boundaries and it is not safe by foot or by bike and you need to take the recommended safety precautions, go by car or with a guide.

Longyearbyen, Norway
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike rental in june?

There are a handful of bike rentals in Longyearbyen. As someone who lives there I definitely recommend riding a bike around town, that is what the locals do. If you are staying in one of the guesthouses at the Southern end of town cruising down the slight hill on a bike is awesome and you shoot into the town center and beyond in no time. I recommend Svalbard Bike Rental as they are close by and have brand new city bikes and helmets. https://www.facebook.com/svalbardbikerental

Apeldoorn
Level Contributor
160 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike rental in june?

I ended up renting at basecamp. Really enjoyed my day cycling.. the small town center you an easily walk but if you want to go a little futher a bike is handy. I cycled to the airport and to the polarbear sign on the east side of town.. and of course down to Huset restaurant.

Rijeka, Croatia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike rental in june?

what was the price?

Apeldoorn
Level Contributor
160 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike rental in june?

If I remember correctly it was 23 eur per day..

Drachten, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike rental in june?

Just NOW saw your post. Ok bit of water under the bridge. But it sure is worth, to rent a bike ;-) So great you done that. I also rented a bike when in Longyearbyen and went beyond the polar bear sign where you will pass some things from the University of Tromso and the wildlife centre. Really great I think to rent a bike there. Just goes a bit faster then walking........

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,656 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike rental in june?

In a small setllement like Longyearbyen, who needs anything fast ;) You can walk around the whole settlement in one hour. Hardly worth the expense of bike hire.

Apeldoorn
Level Contributor
160 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike rental in june?

Well, the built up area yes.. But like he wrote.. If you want to cycle like i did to the airport or the mining area then a bike is just easier and faster..

Drachten, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bike rental in june?

Hey Icepick I think you said it just right. No need for bike in the built up areas. But if you want to explore abit more outside the 'town' a bike is a nice way to get around. Try to walk from Nybyen to the airport and back in an hour ? Perhaps you manage that if you are chased by a polar bear ;-))

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,656 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bike rental in june?

It is not considered safe to go outside the settlement without the necessary safety precautions. Polar bears are fast.