We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Svalbard

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Svalbard

Hello, my dear friends!

We are 2 young people from Russia, and going to see this beautiful piece of world at February 14.

We've already booked a hotel (Spitsbergen Hotel), so we don't need a couch. However, one of the purposes of your visit is Barentburg, the old Soviet mining town (of course, you know that).

The problem is that all tour providers makes it impossible to visit unless you have a valid driver license to ride a snowmobile. Unfortunately, we don't have ones.

So, the question is, is there any other way to get to Barentburg?

Like flying on heli (i heard that they exists on Svalbard) or look for a companion with 2-seated snowmobile?

Maybe you could help? We may pay some, if it is need in that.

Thanks for your answers in advance, and have a nice life!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,997 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Svalbard

You can join a snow mobile excursion: www.svalbard.net/en/snowmobile-trip/?News=140

Check if any of the providers offers tours to Barentsburg.

It is a magnificent journey if the weather is nice. I did it in May 10 years ago and was lucky to drive my own snow scooter at no extra cost. The others had a 2 seater.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,332 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Svalbard

Helicopters are not allowed except for emergencies and causes deemed worthy by the local authorities. When I was in Longyearbyen in September last year it coincided with the cultural exchanges with Barentsburg and the Russians were flown in and out by heli - but that was an exception.

If you cannot rent a snowmobile you will have to take a tour. A tour is also recommended for safety.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Svalbard

Hey guys,

thanks for your quick answers, but you all misunderstood me.

We already tried to book a tour from many of svalbard travel agencies, but all of them require legal driver license to ride a snowmobile during a tour.

The question was is there any way to get to Barentsburg WITHOUT driver license (like being a passenger on a snowmobile, or by heli, etc). Maybe there is an agency (which we don't know) that provides that service. Or maybe local citizens can help.

This is the main goal of the trip, but i still can't see any ways to get there. Is it really that impossible?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,332 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Svalbard

I suggest you contact the tourist office - I am sure they are used to all sorts of odd requests. Or simply ask around when you are there - ask the taxi driver on arrival. Every other local own a snowmobile.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Svalbard

I think you might need to contact them again, as what I'm finding on svalbard.net is the following requirement:

"A valid Drivers License for car, MC or snowmobile must be presented." If you have neither, then it will be a problem.

I'm guessing a no passengers policy is at least partly due to insurance and partly for safety reasons.

With no drivers license the remainging option is dog sled. These guys do customs tours: http://www.greendog.no/UK

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Svalbard

Thank you all for your replies!

7. Re: Question about Svalbard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:19