We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Longyearbyen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

Am trying to find a place to sleep during the week of March 16-23, 2015, to hopefully see the solar eclipse from Longyearben. All the hotels and guesthouses seem to be already booked by tour operators, and the pricing is off the charts.

Are there any options for non-millionaires? Am happy with basic arrangements, and even a place indoors to put my sleeping bag would be enough. Any suggestions about getting in touch with local residents who offer a place to sleep?

I can pay a reasonably high amount, just looking for options that aren't extortion. So far i have been quoted prices that make it much cheaper to simply buy a expedition class tent and find a place to pitch it.

Tallinn, Estonia
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

Hi. Same here. We (two men from Estonia) also have flight tickets, but no accommodation from 19th of march to 22nd of march 2015. We somehow managed to book accommodations for 18-19 and 22-23 of march, in different hotels. But we have to spend three nights somewhere and we're also thinking about camping in camping area. Maybe a tent with gas burner or similar can be the option? Or maybe we can build an igloo???

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,668 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

Tour operators put a hold on hotel rooms, but at a certain date they need to provide name lists and return the unsold rooms. There will probably be openings closer to arrival. Perhaps some hotels will agree to put you on a waiting list ?

Tallinn, Estonia
6 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

I think, if we can cooperate with many of "homeless" people, then we can actually rent the house from airbnb.fr. Price will be kind of normal if divided to people, lets say 10 or more people.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,668 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

I do not think the owners will accept 10 persons in a one bedroom flat. If it does not sell for the astronomic price they offer, it will drop in price and perhaps even be affordable for 4. They are testing the market now.

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

Camping is the only option. A down 3 season or 5 seson sleeping bag will be enough with a regular tent. Camping area near to airport if they ll open u should book for 150 nok per day. And maybe they ll provide sleeping bags,tents etc. If they ll stay close, u can pitch ur tent for free but on ur own!

London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

I stumbled across this place recently - svalbardvillmarkssenter.no/portfolio_categor… - worth dropping an email as they don't feature in some of the obvious booking places so may be free?

Pasewalk, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

many people seem to have the same problem.

I heard from a friend of mine up there that they plan to show up with package offers for the period 18. - 21.03.

it should contain a comfy sleeping place, food and activities. Probably not just a backpacker solution, it sounds more like a overall package. Problaby it will be also not cheap, but as long its staying below 3.000eur per person I will consider it at least. depends if I get a flight, and off from work

Hildesheim...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

Hi All,

Longyearby Camping (longyearbyen-camping.com/5/seasons-climate/) has decided to open the Campground starting 17th of march 2015.

This is a good news, since also the Service Building will be open. Sleeping in the building is prohibited, so a Tent and a very good sleeping bag is mandatory. But at least we will have a warm and save place during daytime. At night we have to observe the area in respect to the polar bears. The pricing in the time until the total ecllipse will be 350nok per night, see the website for details.

Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

Do you know if there's some way to rent tent/sleeping bags or warm chlothes there?

I have no idea how I will get there with a tent

Hildesheim...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Accomodation during week of solar eclipse March 2015

Hi Mòni P,

I dont think that there is a real chance to rent any equipment. The Campsite offers rental of tents and sleeping bags, but probably not in this special case, where the temperature may around -15°C (or even much colder). Feel free to ask Michelle. So IMHO you need an own sleeping bag with an "comfort" zone around -20°C (for a woman, a man may be happy with a comfort limit of -15°C) that gives you the opportunity to sleep, and not just survive.

A tent will not the problem, the smalest thing (< 20EUR) will work, but the sleeping bag may be an investment...