We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Svalbard on Feb 2015

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Longyearbyen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Svalbard on Feb 2015

Does anyone travelling Svalbard on late Feb & share with me how the weather would be, we are struggling to make decision whether continue our Northern Light tour from Abisko to Lofoten or taking a flight from Tromso to Svalbard, we plan to stay Longyearbyen for 3 days, taking flight from Tromso on Feb 20 & leaving on Feb 23 to Oslo.

We do understand the chance to see the polar bear is limited but just want to make sure the weather will be fine & no storm for the outdoor activies such as snowmobile for the safari adventure or glacier walk, otherwise, we might stick on our orig plan to Lofoten. Can anyone share with me the experience about the weather in Svalbard on late Feb ?

Thanks a lot.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Svalbard on Feb 2015

Weather is very variable and nobody can tell you if there will be a storm or not next February. Weather statistics for Longyearbyen here: yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Last year was particularly mild, normal temperature in February is -16degC - could be much colder. The winter months tend to be fairly windy.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,668 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Svalbard on Feb 2015

Why go all the way to Longyearbyen when you can do the same activities on the mainland with longer daylight hours and less risk of extremely low temperatures ? Glacier walk is a summer activity.

London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Svalbard on Feb 2015

To be honest I'd be less worried about the weather and more about the hours of daylight, which I think if i remember correctly is zero at the beginning of the month…

Polar bears will all be out to sea on the ice which hasn't started melting enough for ships to reach them, so I personally wouldn't count that as an option.

The Lofoten islands are just gorgeous and much better infrastructure, unless you want true wilderness in which case Svalbard is the better option.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Svalbard on Feb 2015

Svalbard in February it's pitch dark, no daylight 24/7... so, go for Lofoten and come back for Svalbard in April / May when it's still winter and midnight sun and daylight 24/7..;)

Edited: 04 August 2014, 20:28
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Svalbard on Feb 2015

Hi Gunnar,

Do u think the chance to see the Northern Light in Loftoen during our stay on late Feb will be ok ? If the chance is limited, then we might change the schedule & go to Tromso again, we did vist Tromso twice; one was end Dec 2012 for Northern Light & the 2nd time was end June 2013 for Midnight Sun but we were no luck to see both, then we went to Abisko on last Dec for 3 nights, also also no luck to see so thay why we are thinking Lofoten might be a good place, we travelled to Lofoten on last summer time & someone told us Reine will be a good place to see the light, is it correct ?

Thanks.

6. Re: Weather in Svalbard on Feb 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:17