We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton by Hilton to Braintree Freeport station

Port of Spain...
3 posts
Save Topic
Hampton by Hilton to Braintree Freeport station

Hello,

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible/advisable/safe to walk to and from the Hampton by Hilton in Braintree to the Braintree Freeport railway station?

Thanks in advance

6 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton by Hilton to Braintree Freeport station

Looking at a map it looks very difficult - a busy main by-pass road to walk along from which the access to the station looks dubious.

Probably easier and certainly safer to walk to Braintree Station proper

Port of Spain...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton by Hilton to Braintree Freeport station

Thanks for the heads up. How long does it take to get to the Braintree station proper from the Hampton, if you know?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton by Hilton to Braintree Freeport station

It's about a mile and a quarter - nearer than freeport in fact which (by car) is over 3 miles

colchester
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton by Hilton to Braintree Freeport station

Wouldn't consider walking any of the roads you mention, as they're all pretty major with fast heavy (time dependant) traffic.

Local buses do service the station and freeport, but I don't know about the hotel, although I do know where it is.

There are two premier inn close to freeport, but again not exactly on top of the centre, and they do good rates in advance, but if you are definately at the hampton then my advice would be to use a cab.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Jaycine

Port of Spain...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton by Hilton to Braintree Freeport station

Dzug 1 and Jaycine, thank you for all your assistance. I was looking into staying at the Hampton during the Olympics and commuting to the Olympic Stadium. Just needed to know how accessible the hotel is to the train stations and whether staying in Braintree is a viable (albeit much cheaper) option. Any thoughts?

Thanks again

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton by Hilton to Braintree Freeport station

I have spoken to people who live in Braintree not far from that Hilton.

They said you can walk from the hotel to Braintree Station in the town (not the Freeport Station)

There is a pavement and it’s lit, will take about 15-20 minutes.

The downside they said is that the train service between Braintree and Stratford/London Liverpool street is not that good, (hourly service, it’s a branch line) and said it would be much better staying somewhere like Chelmsford which has about 6 stopping trains an hour on a main line.

They mentioned the Travelodge Chelmsford, the web site says its 1 mile from Chelmsford station, You could also check out other accommodation in Chelmsford.

http://bit.ly/wmAeDj

Reply to: Hampton by Hilton to Braintree Freeport station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Braintree