We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Roast Buffet - Around Great Dunmow ish ?

Which Great Dunmow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Roast Buffet - Around Great Dunmow ish ?

Can anyone please recommend a good pub / restaurant - child friendly if poss - for a Sunday roast around Great Dunmow / Braintree / Bishops Stortford / Chelmsford area.

We've found the Toby Carvery chain and will probably go with that - unless anyone else can suggest a better version.....thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Roast Buffet - Around Great Dunmow ish ?

Well, if you are wanting a carvery/roast type restaurant then the Toby Carveries are hard to beat really, but they are very popular and do get busy on Sundays.

I'm sure you've checked the website, but there is one at Chelmsford (The Chelmer Tavern) and one at Colchester (The White Hart in Stanway).

The Starr in Dunmow is probably the BEST pub there for food, with an excellent and 'foodie' reputation:

http://www.the-starr.co.uk/

Harvester are another 'pub chain' they don't do carvery food, but have a decent choice on their menu with a salad buffet and again generally are good value, also 'kid friendly'. In the area you seek there is one at Haverhill 'The Haver Arms', there is also one in Chelmsford again in Stanway:

harvester.co.uk/find-a-harvester/Thehaverarm…

I have found another Carvery chain - Crown Carveries, that I have never tried, but there is one in Wickford which is in the area you are looking:

crowncarveries.co.uk/find-us/Thedarbydigger.…

A drive around in the countryside will find you a number of decent looking pubs of which some do food also.

Hope this helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Roast Buffet - Around Great Dunmow ish ?

i've now found "The Queens Head, in Coggeshall Essex 01376-564999 - this was the place that was shut down for 13 years and apparently only opened 2 years ago.....has anyone tried it yet ??

Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Roast Buffet - Around Great Dunmow ish ?

As you have a couple of threads asking about various dining options in Essex, you might find these websites of use:

balancelifemagazineessex.co.uk/essex-dining.…

http://www.essexrestaurants.com/

4. Re: Sunday Roast Buffet - Around Great Dunmow ish ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Great Dunmow