We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling into London from Farnborough

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling into London from Farnborough

I will be staying at the Aviator, Farnborough for 6 nights in May. I am wanting to know what is the easiest most economic way to travel into London on most days to go sightseeing. It seems that the train is expensive paying for a return ticket each day. Also I am not sure how far it is to walk to the railway station daily. Any help would be appreciated

30 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
12 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

Hello guys,

I need some help here. I'm planning to go to Farnborough this coming Saturday (June 14th) to watch a performance. I'm staying nearby Waterloo Station. Can anyone tell me what is the cheapest way to go there by train from Waterloo station? I read through this thread that there's a return trip ticket that cost less than £20 or around that price. FYI the performance start at 20:00 so I guess I need to leave at 19:00. Can I use oyster card for this trip?

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

On Saturday, the off-peak fare applies anyway, so it's £16.10 for a same-day return from Waterloo to Farnborough Main. It's outside the London travel zones which end at Surbiton on that route. So you can't use Oyster. But if you have a valid Travelcard, you can save a bit by showing it to the ticket agent at Waterloo and asking for a day return from the boundary of its validity to Farnborough. The timetable is here:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/pocket10[0].pdf

I'm intrigued by the idea of a "performance" at Farnborough which doesn't usually host anything much of interest apart from the air show. You might usefully research how far the venue is from Farnborough Main station.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

The 18.39 arrives 19.13; The 18.42 gets in at 19.32. Depends where you need to get to after arriving at the station as to which to get.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

The last fast train back to Waterloo is at 23:00 with last train of the night at 00:06 so check the end time of your performance

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,636 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

Also check it is Farnborough, Hampshire, you want. There is also a Farnborough in Greater London / Kent, just south of Bromley.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 13:17
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

The performance would appear to be gethampshire.co.uk/news/local-news/farnborou… (a concert is listed at the bottom of the page)

Kuala Lumpur...
12 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

Thank you everybody for all your replies. Another thing that I want to know is should I book the ticket online or if I need to use any type of card ie. travelcard. Or can I just buy the ticket at the counter.

@Mymsman yup that is the event. How far is the place (which I believe is the same place as the Farnborough Airshow, if I'm not mistaken) from the Main station? Need to estimate my travel time. Are there any bus or taxi going or passing through that area from the station? Or if walking is doable.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

The simplest course is to buy the ticket at Waterloo on the day. If you already have a Travelcard valid to the boundary of Zone 2 (say), it will be worth a small reduction or a more worthwhile reduction in the case of Zone 6. There is absolutely no advantage in booking these tickets on line. For the location, you would do well to check with the event organisers. The Farnborough Business Park provides a postcode, which is GU14 7JF. In the UK postcodes are usually exact to within a few hundred yard/metres but, in this case, I suspect it just relates to the entrance gate of a very large industrial site. However, for what it is worth, the entrance gate is walkable from Farnborough Main station in about 20 minutes. Otherwise there are usually taxis waiting at the station. Bus services are sparse on the Hampshire/Surrey borders in the evenings. Stagecoach Hants & Surrey Goldline Route 1 (destination Aldershot) goes close to the Business park entrance gate. The timetable, for what it's worth, is here:

surreycc.gov.uk/__data/…1-Stcoach.pdf

I would, however, recommend establishing exactly where you need to get to and then taking a taxi (and do also arrange for the taxi to pick you up for the return to the station afterwards)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

The website for the Wind Tunnel Project thewindtunnelproject.com/visitor-information/ includes a map, contact phone & email and other information including the fact that there is a free shuttle bus service from Farnborough Main station.

It would be worth phoning or emailing them to find if it is operating before and after the concert. Even if it is operating there is likely to be a rush of people looking for the bus and any available taxis after the concert so it is probably best to plan on walking back to the station,

Edited: 13 June 2014, 11:39
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Travelling into London from Farnborough

I could only share the telephone number of Southwest Trains, you could ask as many queries as you want re: fares, connections, timings etc. It will be helpful if you ask straight from the train company.

The number is 0845 6000 650.

Personally, i would like to go via Farnborough Main as it is more convenient.

HERE'S THE LINK FOR WALKING GUIDE from Aviator Hotel to Farnborough Main Train Station

http://goo.gl/gpeQY8

Edited: 19 July 2014, 15:50
Reply to: Travelling into London from Farnborough
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Farnborough