We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

very elderly traveller

Which Freshwater hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton
Level Contributor
90 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
very elderly traveller

I know freshwater is good for walkers but I plan to take my very elderly mother and wonder if she will be able to appeciate the setting. She can walk but not far. I ruled out Ventnor because of the hilly steepness.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
134 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: very elderly traveller

Yarmouth is also in the West Wight, is on the level and has a picturesque harbour. Your mother would be able to wander round the small town which is mainly flat. It is not far from Freshwater and the beautiful views that can be enjoyed from the Military Road which runs along the coast. If you have a car there are lots of views she can enjoy while driving.

Brighton
Level Contributor
90 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: very elderly traveller

Thank you. do you think she could get on the boat that offers short trips to the Needles?

She walks but very slowly and could not cope with a gap of any sort.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
134 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: very elderly traveller

Sorry, I've never been on the boat. I guess there will be a wooden gangway, probably best to ring them and ask what access is like.

If she can manage the bus, there is a Needles Breezer bus tour you can take which lasts about an hour, but you can get on and off if you wish. It takes you right up to the Needles Battery. I doubt she would be able to make the short walk to the actual Battery as it is a bit steep, but the view from the top and the way up and down is stunning on a clear day. You can either go straight back down on the bus or sit and enjoy the view until the next bus, about 30 mins later. There is also a recorded commentary.

4. Re: very elderly traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Freshwater