We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Margate still worth visiting?

York
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Margate still worth visiting?

We used to holiday in Margate every year as a child (now 45)

I wanted to take my mother back for a visit. We used to stay at a nice BB close to bowling green and crazy golf in clifftonville and of course visit Dreamland alas I understand is no more.

Is it still worth a return visit or should I look elsewhere.

59 replies to this topic
21. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 September 2013, 19:53

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

Absolutely worth a visit. There is much going on in the Town at the moment and much in the pipeline. Contrary to what many say The Turner Contemporary is worth the visit alone. With the new Kings steps sea defense now complete it has added to the seafront and is by far the best £5milllion ever spent on the town. Dreamland regeneration is now under way and will be re-opened in 2015 but no doubt there will be things to do there during summer 2014. The old town is thriving, new hotel and bars are popping up and there is another new hotel development soon to start.

So if you can see past the negative and soak up some of the wonderful architecture, stunning coastline and some rather nice eateries then a resounding yes for visit.

Kent
Level Contributor
20 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

This post is somewhat out of date now as there has been a huge turnaround in Margate particularly in the last summer. A trendy boutique hotel, bars, restaurants, community creativity. In time it will give Brighton Lanes a run for its money. It's still very kitsch and quirky but think more retro vintage than tatty and shabby. I would encourage anyone to visit now as it's only set to get better

Surrey
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

I am moving soon to Margate. The architecture is great and being restored , maintained and a real bargain. Information exudes much promise for property investment as prices are set to increase. Dreamland is being redeveloped with the combined efforts of Rhyll and Thanet . The fast train to St Pancreas has brought the town in from the cold and with sea, sand , Westwood retail park, parks, cafe culture, Theatre royal, Winter Gardens, the Viking coastal route it is an interesting place in which to be involved.

I like the atmosphere, the way it makes me feel. I am not encumbered by past memories of how it was in its heyday. To me it is a place that holds promise. I want to build a new life with a place that is having new life injected into it. I want to make the journey with margate and hope that others will join in with enthusiasm and not abandon this lovely area.

25. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 23:05

Surrey
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

I consider margate shabby chic. I love cycling on the seafront when I am there and that beats packing it on the car to drive elsewhere before I embark on a bike ride. I have lived in a mix of urban and suburban areas all my life. Margate offers me the familiarity of town life and the joy of the coast . I have seen developments over the last few years. I have no past memories of it apart from the tales brought to me from contemporaries who travelled there in the 60's on their scooters. Suffice to say like a lot of our home towns , including my own , they undergo changes that conflict with our dear memories . We are disappointed with our return trips down memory lane where our childhood memories can be in real contrast to the changes that greet us. I will be moving into the area and have no pre-conceived ideas of thr area. I am looking forward to being by the sea and exploring and travelling with the developments in the area. I am sure all the community is like many others in the country. Trying to work, play and live happily and safely with their families, children and friends.

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

No, as we went there today, and even on a nice day it is very depressing. Crazy golf was fun but afterwards we had about 45mins walkabout. So we had a self guided tour of crumbling old architecture of the once stately buildings, and the now derelict amusement park (went there once many years ago and for the time it was quite good) the mile after mile of closed down stores, the graffiti, and everything look on the verge of being unhygienic so not the most inviting town to eat, so we didn't. If you like to depress yourself to suicide with the sight of miserable grime then get yourself down there. We left there and went to another seaside town just a few miles away that I've never heard of called Broadstairs, which is the exact opposite of Margate and was a pleasant discovery.

Surrey
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

Yes definitely. Another bank holiday another visit. You can travel on to Broadstairs and Ramsgate, coastline in a trice . In fact all within 15 minutes of each other. The parking , walks , eateries, high street shops, sights, together with the vast Westwood Cross retail park bring all these towns together beautifully. It is periodsville heaven for those who like character property. Along with the many restorations on these grand oroperties any new builds are in keeping with existing townscape integrity and The leisure centre has been refurbished with no expense spared. Dreamland will be up and running in the next two years with Ramsgate Pleasuredome undergoing similar attention. Property prices in comparison with London suburbs are great value for money at the moment, but rising slow but sure with the faster link on the train to St Pancreas, making these coastal towns attractive for commuters in the last 10 years.

Surrey
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

I note with interest the disappointment experienced by those who either lived here 40 or more years ago or return years later having spent many a good holiday here only to find how different it appears. It is a sad fact that our memories if good are never met with affirmation when revisiting our haunts of yesteryear!!

I lived in a London suburb until I was 27 and have made frequent visits back there from my new home. I recently took a look at a town 3 miles away which is part of what I consider is within the 8 mile radius of all my old stamping ground. My my what a change for the worst .

Familiar trees removed, multi cultural groups sitting around on the pavements, beautiful architecture destroyed and replaced by modern arcades and outlets. All a sign of the times. Nothing stays the same except in rural villages which escape the ravages if time .

I understand the disappointment completely.

However newcomers or new visitors to the area come with open minds and eyes and it is they who will move forward and carry these changing areas.

Let the memories rest where they will !!'

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Is Margate still worth visiting?

I agree with other posters that you would be better staying in Broadstairs and just spending a couple of hours in Margate. Margate is terribly run down in the main, although they are trying to make it better. I can recommend an excellent hotel for lunch, or even to stay in (if you have the money...) and that is the Sands hotel

http://www.sandshotelmargate.co.uk/ - you can get an excellent three course lunch for £18 and it has fantastic views over the bay.

The Turner is a wonderful building and free entry (donation suggested) but does not house Turner's best work and so I agree does not take up too much of your day.

There is not much in Cliftonville these days apart from a nice place to park your car and look out to sea - I think the pitch and putt is gone.

Anyway, enjoy your stay.

Reply to: Is Margate still worth visiting?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Margate