We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice

Which Tonbridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice

Hi everyone,

I am planning to stay in Tonbridge for two days and then travel with my son (age14) from Tonbridge to visit a friend in Oxford on 31 March morning (Sat) with 2 medium size luggage. I have not been to Tonbridge before.

I wonder if some travel experts offer advice on the best means to go to Oxford from Tonbridge.

Thanks in advance for any help advice offer.

BR,

rcecac

7 replies to this topic
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice

Either: hire a car if you intend to travel further afield or tour the countryside

or:

Train from Tonbridge to London (Charing X station); take the Bakerloo Underground line from Charing X to Paddington; take the train from Paddington to Oxford.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,511 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice

You could also avoid travelling via London:

Tonbridge to Redhill, hourly.

Redhill to Reading - two trains an hour. These often depart from the same or adjacent platform at Redhill, so no stairs to negotiate.

Reading to Oxford - 3-5 trains an hour.

A ticket Tonbridge to Oxford is valid via either route (London or Redhill)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice

Alternatively train from Tonbridge to Redhill, then on to Reading, and finally another train to Oxford

Takes about 15 minutes longer but arguably easier changes Same fare.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,555 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice

I would go via Redhill and Reading as that avoids the crowded London trains, also battling across London on the Underground and it is a pleasant ride through the countryside.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,172 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice

As it's the season for rail engineering work, you may want to check on timetables/connections and fares, by putting your journey on www.nationalrail.co.uk

As your son is under 16 years of age, he will qualify for a childs fare.

If you are going for a visit to Oxford and intend returning to Tonbridge, a return fare is cheaper. You don't have to return on the same day, as you can get a 3 day return ticket, provided your return trip is not at peak travelling times.

You don't need to buy tickets in advance. Sometime through tickets ( from Tonbridge to Oxford) are more expensive that stage by stage tickets. I have no idea why this is. But you may want to check prices for the Redhill to Reading, or Reading to Oxford legs and make a price comparison.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice

Dear All,

Thank you so much for all your valuable advice. I am overwhelmed by your resourcefulness and all your helpful responses.

BR,

rcecac

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice

Or the national express coach service leaves T. Wells at 9.25 arrives Oxford 13.20 for just under £36 for both of you.

…nationalexpress.com/times-and-fares.aspx…

Reply to: From Tonbridge to Oxford - request for advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted