We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip to Mowbray - worth it?

Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One day trip to Mowbray - worth it?

Hi, I'll be in London (near Victoria Station) for three nights. My wife wants to see the Ole Pie Shop in Mowbray. If we go, we'll have to train or tube it from London as we won't have a car. Anybody have any thoughts about whether this will be worth a one day trip and can it be done by tube or train? So, plan is to leave very early in the morning and arrive back in London in time for dinner. Thanks for any input.

JWOO

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One day trip to Mowbray - worth it?

Also, be aware that the best Melton Mowbray pies are not from Dickinson and Morris - you get much better pies from Brockleby's and Mrs King.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One day trip to Mowbray - worth it?

Brockleby's are indeed very good (don't know Mrs King's) and Waitrose sometimes stocks them, especilly near Christmas. I like the fact that they use free-range local pork. D&M are more widely available, but they aren't free-range pork.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One day trip to Mowbray - worth it?

This is an interesting post and I hope our local tourist board and council see it... Sadly i agree with the other post... to travel up to melton by train for the day is not sensible... you would need a car to see the lovely area i live in.. the surrounding countryside especially down into the vale of belvoir and obviously the castle is spectacular.

As for port pies.... shop is lovely - and pork pies in there always look better than the ones picked up in a sipermarket.. however on some days there are demonstrations on hand raised pie making.. and that is interesting (if you're into cooking). Other products they sell are great I LOVE their HUNT CAKE...

Melton Mowbray is a market town, and could be quite fantastic, however our local council is doing it's best to ruin any tourist trade we may have. High rates/rents therefore shops are closing - locals tend to shop in |Leicester , Nottingham or Loughborough... Enourmous car parking costs ( particularly on a Tuesday when it is our Cattle market(worth a trip to tho) Town market day..They've closed the public conveniences near the coach/bus park and it's now being debated whether they will ask local pubs to open their facilities to tourist!..........On saying that if you are in the area - come see ....

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: One day trip to Mowbray - worth it?

They'll see it if you e-mail them the link ....

15. Re: One day trip to Mowbray - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 07:23
Get answers to your questions about Melton Mowbray
Recent Conversations
More Melton Mowbray Topics