We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend in Richmond

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
weekend in Richmond

We are a middles aged couple going to Richmond for the weekend. Apart from the castle any other suggestions?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend in Richmond

There is the Georgian Theatre and many lovely walks around. You could go to Hawes to see the cheese-makers and rope makers which is further up into the Dales - a ride through pretty countryside

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend in Richmond

Thank you for the tip, not spotted that one

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend in Richmond

Just jumping on the end of this thread. Hope you don't mind, but I'm looking for pub recommendations in and around Richmond (not too far away though), particularly ones which might have a cosy welcoming feel, good food and if they had local/real ales that would be the icing on the cake. thanks!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend in Richmond

Oops I'd better throw in a request for a hotel recommendation with that too, somewhere that is friendly, clean and does a good hearty breakfast to set you up for the day.

ta

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend in Richmond

Swaledale is beautiful - if you do want to go to Hawes you can drive up Swaledale, over the Buttertubs pass, call in at Hardraw Force & return by Wensleydale stopping at Aysgarth Falls & maybe Leyburn.

If you like walking, the walk up Gunnerside Gill in Swaledale is superb with lots of old lead mines. Also I believe you can walk to Easby Abbey from Richmond along the river (not done this)

Have a great time

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend in Richmond

If you get up to Swaledale Annie Porters would be a good place to stay as it is right in the heart of the dale- Oxnop Hall . Otherwise if you want to be nearer to Richmond take a look at Whashton Springs farm well established and come well recommended Jane Turnbull took over from her mother in law and maybe 10 years ago and still runs it with the same finesse as when it was on Wish you were here many years ago Of course up dated over the years and still on top.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend in Richmond

That's super information Englandsixpence and JoeGBradford. Apologies for my late reply. I didn't get a notification.

Thanks!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weekend in Richmond

. I havent had any notifications for ages and so things just seem to sit there so quite understand Thanks for replying anyway

9. Re: weekend in Richmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 07:37
Get answers to your questions about Richmond
Recent Conversations
More Richmond Topics