We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

Timperley,Cheshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

Hi

We're looking to book a family holiday in this area but other than the fact that my dad and his descendants came from the North East we really don't know the best places to go as Wales was always my childhood holiday destination.

My kids would be happy spending a week on the beach with perhaps a couple of site seeing destinations should the weather turn inclement.

My wife isn't fully mobile so we'd need accommodation that was nearer to the beach if possible but we're not bothered what form of self catering we use

I've had a good google on this one and can't really pin down the best area to go so thought I'd ask for advice from people who might be more in the know

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Essex
Level Contributor
30,069 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

There's some 'popular' Caravan sites at Berwick-upon-Tweed that are near the beaches. Good beaches, but 'bleak' on a day of bad weather!!

Not to difficult to reach the main sights from there, but many of them are rather 'hilly'.....

Mentioned in this post
Berwick-upon-Tweed
Berwick-upon-Tweed
Northumberland, UK
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

All of the Northumberland coast is good and there are plenty of good beaches. But the sea can be cold as it doesn't have the warming effect of the gulf stream. However that probably won't worry the kids...

Alnwick/Alnmouth area is a good choice. You are quite close to Newcastle and Durham if the weather is really bad.

If the kids are into Harry Potter then a visit to Alnwick Castle is a must. It also has a good play area for acting out medieval knights. The gardens are also good.

Warkworth Castle is a good ruined castle and the kids might like the boat trip across to the Hermitage.

Further up the coast are the dramatic ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle reached by an easy walk over the grass by the sea.

In Banburgh there is the castle and Grace Darling Museum if it is wet. On a fine day there is a boat trip to the Farne Islands.

Again needing a fine day and the right tides, drive across the causeway to Holy Island. Look out for the 'refuge' in the middle of the causeway for those unfortunate enough to have left it too late to cross and got cut off by the tides which come in very quickly across the sands.

Not far away is Rothbury with Cragside - one of the first houses in the country to be lit by electric light. There are some beautiful walks through the grounds.

Don't miss Chillingham Castle and its herd of wild white cattle,

Berwick is an interesting town to visit and there are the Barracks if it is wet.

Mentioned in this post
Northumberland
Northumberland
England, UK
Alnmouth
Alnmouth
Alnwick, UK
Alnwick Castle
Alnwick Castle
4,038 Reviews
Alnwick, UK
Holy Island
Holy Island
Northumberland, UK
Chillingham Castle
Chillingham Castle
644 Reviews
Alnwick, UK
northumberland
Level Contributor
197 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

hi rockinrocky, when the weather is fine, the northumberland coast is beautiful, there are some lovely coastal towns and villages in which to base yourself from druridge bay northwards. amble is a fishing port, with a large caravan site, wide beaches to the south and north, good shopping and some lovely restaurants, sailing centre and marina with horse riding nearby. A mile north is warkworth with its medieval castle, boating on the river, wonderful unspoilt beach which stretches to alnmouth and charming main street with gift shops ect. both towns have numerous B&B's and caravan sites. as stated above there are some great days out, including Alnwick (harry potter) castle and the Alnwick garden (not to be missed). hope this helps, karen x ps check out flickr or wildnorthumberland.com for some local photos

Essex
Level Contributor
30,069 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

Hmm, you are making Amble sound very tempting kaznjake, I MUST GO BACK to this fab interesting area!!

Mentioned in this post
Amble
Amble
Northumberland, UK
Timperley,Cheshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

Must admit,looking at Amble it does tick most of the boxes with nice beaches, holiday cottages or a caravan park to choose from and a decent base to visit other places should it be non-beach weather

I shall do a bit more "googling"

Mentioned in this post
Amble
Amble
Northumberland, UK
Edinburgh, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

This website may be of interest...

www.northumberland-coast.co.uk

Timperley,Cheshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

Having discussed it further and reviewed some of the available properties along the coast, I think we're looking more at Alnmouth now, if we can find a cottage/bungalow that's within a reasonable distance (preferably on foot) from a beach.

Mentioned in this post
Alnmouth
Alnmouth
Alnwick, UK
northumberland
Level Contributor
197 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

yep, alnmouth is beautiful, there are tons of holiday cottages within a 10 minute walk from the beach, check out northumbian country cottages ( i think), sykes or cottages 4 u should have a few there too. there are great pubs and restaurants in the village, you,re only 3 miles from warkworth and on the hourly bus route to alnwick and beyond. the east coast mainline has a station locally, you could fit in berwick or newcastle for the day. have fun searching. ps if you're into golf, there are two great courses in alnmouth with fantastic coastal views. xxx karen

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

Not really relevant to this post, but I have just found this stunning panorama of the coast so that you can see the attraction of the coast.

guardian.co.uk/environment/interactive/2011/…

Mind you the water is always freezing cold!

Timperley,Cheshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Beach Holiday - Northumbrian Coast Alnwick,Alnmouth..

Thanks to all for your help, we eventually booked a nice cottage in Alnmouth, close to the beach.

Hopfeully we should get the weather to spend most of our time there but we're putting together a few day trips out for the days when the weather isn't so good places like Holy Island, Alnwick Castle etc

Mentioned in this post
Alnmouth
Alnmouth
Alnwick, UK
Holy Island
Holy Island
Northumberland, UK
Alnwick Castle
Alnwick Castle
4,038 Reviews
Alnwick, UK