We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holy Island

Gotland, Sweden
1 post
Save Topic
Holy Island

I was a visitor to Holy Island and i consider the place to a very capitalist greed based place. What with the National Trusts greed with charging 4.80 english pounds per person to enter a bit of turf with a few remains and next the very small castle which again cost over 4 english pounds+ the island mini bus charging 2 pounds to travel a kilometer............its not a place to visit unless you want to wast money .There are supposed to be 160 people who live on the island , but with over 30 cottages being let out at upto 650 pounds per week all year round, obviously the islanders live elsewhere - which again comes down to greed .As for the gift shops ....WELL IF YOU WANT TO PAY 7 TIMES THE PRICE FOR AN ITEM .....thats your loss. I certainly would not pay 30 pounds for a silver ring thats cost only 3 pound from the trade supplier or pay 30 pounds for an ornament that i bought elswhere for 15 pound.Also the alleged island alcohol is also expensive, 9 pounds for a bottle of mead 14%abv (you could buy whisky for this price) .Try Seahouses for the mead its 4 pounds cheaper.

24 replies to this topic
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holy Island

What a pity you felt cheated by prices on Holy Island.

The National Trust uses the money from parking and entrance fees to preserve and protect the environment and the castle.

By the few ruins I assume you mean the Priory which is one of the most important early Christian sights in Britain.

Edited: 24 July 2011, 22:37
Essex
Level Contributor
27,616 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holy Island

ER, was anyone twisting your arm, and forcing you to buy or visit things??? You did not HAVE to pay any of that, now, did you??

Actually, the heritage levels involved in the Priory, with it's links to St Cuthbert and St Aidan, and then the Castle - a Lutyens Mini Masterpiece, with a cute Gertrude Jekyll walled garden 'across the way' is all priceless, really, but glad they don't ask for that!! The fees are well worth it, IMO.

But, you pay's your money and you takes your choice!!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holy Island

Holy Island is a beautiful place with so much history and atmosphere. I love just crossing the causeway to the island, and we always stop along the way to look at the wooden stakes marked to show the 'pilgirm's walk' across to the mainland.

I certainly don't go there to buy rings and 'mead'.

English Heritage (not the National Trust) do a fine job of managing and upkeeping the Priory and I am more than happy to help contribute to that. Same goes for the National Trust and their upkeep of Lindisfarne Castle. The preservation and maintenance of such ancient and historically significant places like these is astronomical.

london
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holy Island

if you think that's expensive, just think what the fees would be if Merlin Entertainments Group (owners of Madame Tussauds, Warwick Castle etc etc) were in charge of the place

and as for the holiday lets, I googled and all the properties that came up were private lets by people who own the properties, not English Heritage

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holy Island

As people have said, the upkeep of such vitally important historic sites costs an awful lot of money and to be perfectly honest I'm happy to contribute towards that when I visit Holy Island.

At the end of the day the Island's history and natural beauty is going to attract a huge number of tourists (some 650,000 a year I believe) and as such certain businesses are naturally going to try and take advantage. Nobody is forcing you to buy any of these products or items.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,590 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holy Island

Troll?!

Darlington
Level Contributor
863 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holy Island

I visited holy island yesterday and once again loved it! a stunning and relaxing place!

What we have to understand is there is some very sad narrow minded people in this world!

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holy Island

We love Holy Island, so atmospheric you could feel the history, the castle is beautiful and felt so lived in. We stayed a night in the small pub there many years ago.

Perhaps someone could point the OP in the direction of Disney, maybe that is more what they were looking for.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holy Island

We are going at the weekend....1st visit and im quite excited. Its history and no we arnt history mad people just normal everyday working 43 year olds

Edited: 08 August 2011, 08:35
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holy Island

You will absolutely love it Helen! If you're at the causeway a little before the tide is ready to cross, have a drink or a bite to eat at the Barn at Beal http://www.barnatbeal.com/. It has stunning views, great coffee and home made food and they have a live video feed of the causeway so you know exactly when you can go and cross!

You might also like to read through this guide to Holy Island, to make the most of your trip. yournorthumberland.co.uk/area-guides/holy-is…

Reply to: Holy Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted