We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from burton on trent to manchester airport- ideas?

Which Burton upon Trent hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
from burton on trent to manchester airport- ideas?

Good morning, we'll be narrowboating out of Burton on Trent the last week of september 2007 and then will be travelling up to manchester airport for our flight back to the States.

I'm looking for suggestions for best route (train, bus or should we rent car one way) to get there, and anyplace we should stay our last night that will help us get to the airport fairly easily the next morning.

thanks.

L

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from burton on trent to manchester airport- ideas?

You should be able to get a train from Burton changing at Chesterfield or Sheffield. You can get the timetables on thetrainline.com and also on the airport website I think. This will take about 2 hours by train. By Car you go along the A50 and M6 taking around 90 minutes plus searching time. There may be a bus direct to the airport a couple of times a day, again the airport website wouold be the best place to look. Me, I'd go for the train.

I advise you look at the Manchester Forum for discussions on the best hotel for your needs.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from burton on trent to manchester airport- ideas?

Just a thought, I'm no expert on this, but Manchester is about the right distance for a 1-way narrow boat hire !

edinburgh
Level Contributor
88 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from burton on trent to manchester airport- ideas?

You can get a train from Tutbury/Hatton station (about 4 miles from Burton) which goes to Crewe. Change trains there for manchester airport. It will take about 2 and a half hours depending on the connection in Crewe.

There is a small hotel called the Castle right by the train station at Hatton. The food is good. Eaten there many times.

Check Central Trains website for info re the train times.

There are a few car hire companies in Burton.

The bus may be a rather drawn out affair. National Express webiste would be your best bet.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from burton on trent to manchester airport- ideas?

Just a couple of comments. Manchester Airport is nowhere near any canal and one way hires are only possible between two bases of the same company. You'd have to go for 24 hours a day to reach Manmchester from Burton by narrowboat anyhow. So forget that!

An alternative to Tutbury and Hatton is train from Burton to Derby, then train to Crewe as above. Coach - forget it!

5. Re: from burton on trent to manchester airport- ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Burton upon Trent
More Burton upon Trent Topics