We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Croydon a rough area?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is Croydon a rough area?

Hi

Myself and my friend have booked to stay in the Hilton Hotel Croydon for 4 nights to visit London and all its tourist attractions etc. I am seeing some reviews about croydon itself that it is quite rough and not safe? We are both only 19 so I know we need to be aware while on our own but is it really that bad?

28 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

It it not the best place to stay if you want to be IN London, as it is a fair way out of the centre....

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

I wouldn't stay there. Daytime its OK, coming back at night, not such a great reputation.

Not only that but with 2 of you you'll be spending a fair bit each day to travel back and forth you could better spend on a more central hotel, and you lose the ability to go back to your apartment part way through the day for one of many useful reasons.

There is a reason hotels this far out are cheaper.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

Well our hotel is booked and paid for so no turning back now hopefully we wont come across any problems while travelling back on the train :/

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

If it was already booked whats the point of asking ? Enjoy youre stay though.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

Because when booking I didn't realise the area was bad as traveller reviews said easy access great location etc. Nobody mentioned it beong rough at night etc

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

Hi Sinead, don't be too put off by the others' comments about Croydon being unsafe, you really don't have to worry about staying in Croydon any more than when you're being careful about safety in any city around the world.

Although Croydon does have a bit of a history of problems, most of this has been centred around the North / West Croydon area. Your hotel is in the South Croydon area which is much quieter and the area has a 'nicer' vibe. If you're travelling back from London late in the evening, I would advise you to take the train from London Victoria to PURLEY (it runs all night long) and get a taxi from Purley (there is a 24hr taxi office there) to your hotel, for about £8 - £10 or so.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 12:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

Hi Sinead, don't be too put off by the others' comments about Croydon being unsafe, you really don't have to worry about staying in Croydon any more than when you're being careful about safety in any city around the world.

Although Croydon does have a bit of a history of problems, most of this has been centred around the North / West Croydon area. Your hotel is in the South Croydon area which is much quieter and the area has a much 'nicer' vibe and has many great restuarants and bars. If you're travelling back from London late in the evening, I would advise you to take the train from London Victoria to PURLEY (it runs all night long) and get a taxi from Purley (there is a 24hr taxi office there) to your hotel, for about £8 - £10 or so.

Edited: 21 May 2013, 12:30
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

Hi

Thanks for the info about the train I will definitely do that

Croydon, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

I've worked in the middle of Croydon for 17 years and although there are the usual boisterous types hanging around near some of the town centre nightclubs I've never felt personally threatened in any way.

Lots of people talk about it having a 'reputation' - but you will probably find that most of them have got their opinions second-hand. Reputation is a precious commodity, and sadly for Croydon a vocal minority seem intent on wrecking it for the town by shouting 'stay away'...even though they really don't know the place at all.

If you want to explore the area a little and try out some local culture then I'd recommend looking for a band playing at Scream Lounge (*) in South End, try out a guest beer in the Green Dragon(**), sample a brilliant weekend eggs Benedict brunch in Matthew's Yard (***) or, if you are out later at night, spend some time in Bad Apple of the Black Sheep Bar (depending on your musical preferences****).

(* two live rooms and a funky bar area)

(** look out for Esther the lovely landlady - recently included in the Independent newspaper's list of the top 100 people in the country for spreading happiness all around them!)

(*** a hidden gem just off Surrey Street Market and the first ever crowdsource-funded theater in the world to the best of my knowledge)

(**** for fans of dubstep remember it was originally created in the town!)

There is also some amazing countryside very nearby, so for instance you could pop down to Happy Valley in the south of the borough if you want a long walk through fields and woods to clear your head of the buzz of the city.

Nobody pretends that Croydon has the concentration or range of stuff you will find in central London - but then you wouldn't expect it to. However give it a fair chance and it grows on you!

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Croydon a rough area?

No, croydon is very safe. Especially where you will be staying. There is nothing to be frightened of. I grew up and live in Croydon. My children 18plus shop quite happily and safely in the town centre. Enjoy!!!!!

Reply to: Is Croydon a rough area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Croydon