We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Center to Sutton

Hradec Kralove...
9 posts
Save Topic
Center to Sutton

Dear travellers, I'm going to London for 4 days. I'll sleep in my friend's place in Sutton. So I need to get to center in the morning and back in the evening. Do u have any suggestions on how to travel as cheaply as possible? If to take a bus or a train...using Oyster card?? Thank you for your advice.Milan

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,748 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Center to Sutton

If you are on your own, just use pay-as-you-go Oyster, and travel after 09.30 on weekdays (i.e. Monday-Friday).

If two of you, if you buy one-day travelcards at Sutton Station for zones 1-6 you can make use of the 2FOR1 offers that day. Again, travel after 09.30 Monday-Friday.

It is possible to get from Sutton to Central London on a number of buses (e.g 280 to Tooting Broadway then 44 to Victoria), but time-wise, taking the train will be far quicker.

Edited: 23 February 2012, 16:49
Hradec Kralove...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Center to Sutton

Thank you for your response. Why do you advise to travel after 9:30? I was thinking about traveling by bus using Oyster card since you spend around 5£ a day no matter how many buses you take. Moreover, we could take an advantage of this and use public transport to move around the city center. As I said 'we' we will be 2 ppl

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Center to Sutton

Travel after 0930 is cheaper - both buying travelcards and using Oyster.

I would not advise using buses to travel to/from central London from Sutton - it takes nearly 2 hours each way. There is an express bus - a bit quicker - but you can't use Oyster on it

Hradec Kralove...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Center to Sutton

ok, how much time does it take to get there by train? and how much does the 2for1 ticket cost? so we will be better off taking the train. I really appreciate your help

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Center to Sutton

The fastest trains (to Victoria) take about half an hour. An off peak one day travelcard is £8.50 per person and qualifies for the 2 for 1. It allows for travel in London as well as the return journey from Sutton

Hradec Kralove...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Center to Sutton

Great, so for 8,50 we both can travel from Sutton to Victoria and back and we can also use buses in Central London, is that so? Off-peak starts at 9:30 and when does it end? Thanks

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Center to Sutton

Correct. £8.50 each that is.

Off peak ends at 0430 the following morning

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Center to Sutton

Great, so for 8,50 we both can travel from Sutton to Victoria and back and we can also use buses in Central London, is that so?

--------

Not just buses you can also use the Tube. Restricting yourself to buses will slow you down and mean you miss stuff.

Hradec Kralove...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Center to Sutton

I see, so we will buy Oyster and recharge it with some credit. The max that can be taken for 24 hrs from the card is 8.50 for 1 person with the possibility of traveling by buses, underground, and train, even to Sutton. Do I understand it right? If so, that was the last question and I won't bother you anymore with my questions :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Center to Sutton

So do I take it you are not interested in buying two tickets for the price of one ticket at many attractions then ? I'd have thought you would be, since you want to do it cheaply but .........

Get answers to your questions about Sutton
Recent Conversations