We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We tried it...we liked it. Yelapa

Which Yelapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
We tried it...we liked it. Yelapa

Hi all..I promised that I would post my review upon my return from Yelapa. Since there is no hotel posting site for "casa daniela" I will just go ahead and post here in the general forum.

we dealt with Randy via internet over the website:

www.casainyelapa.com

We originally wanted to book at the Mar Y Sol but it was already booked. Rats..so we chose the Casa Daniela which was just a few doors down and were very pleased with the location. We loved our balconey view each a.m. with our morning joe.

Ok...back to Randy. We booked thru Paypal with no worries. Read thru their website and learned tons on what to expect from Yelapa etc...followed all their instructions on getting from the airport, to the correct pier bought our water taxi tickets and were on our way 20 minutes later via water taxi. Pretty ride down the coast line saw a set of Dolphins nearby. Arrived to Yelapa and when we came around the corner...sigh...it was just like I pictured. A little postcard.

They dropped off on the beach first and then over to the village pier where we got off. We hired a wheelbarrow man to haul our stuff up thru the village to our casa. The place was nice and clean. The only issues we had was veryyyyyyyyy poor water pressure in the shower. I mean "micro showers' and the bathroom has an issue with a trap or something that cause there to be a constant "smell" that was not so pleasant. We were thankful that we brought candles in a can because it helped a bit but ...blech. Kept the door shut. Love the balconey view...the bed oh so comfy. The roosters crowing at Midnight...not so good...however we adapted by wearing earplugs. Problem solved. Bring earplugs ...you never know you may need them .

These are the types of things you can expect to run into but no big issues by any means.

We loved Yelapa and adapted to the cow/burro poop in the streets and stepping over or around it, the roosters crowing...the only thing we did NOT like was the huge amount of stray dogs. I am talking dogs EVERYwhere...the next to me on the beach and taking a poop and it's in the sand I am walking in ...that I have issues with. And fish taco in hand on the beach and a dog peeing on the beach chair next to me...blech....Then two nights in the village there were dogs fighting in the street violently...The tienda owner came out and took care of them...whew...another night we were walking up river for dinner and a dog came ripping after us growling and very angry...did not like these situations. No thanks! And yes, I do like animals! Just uncomfortable in these situations.

Loved, love, loved the people who lived and worked in the village. We love meeting new people even with our limited Espanol....we got to chat often with Triny at the Oasis on the beach, (sp?) Pah-waylo from Taco Y Mas, Debbie at the Cafe Bahia, Marco's, Aurora, Ruby all beach vendors and wonderrrrrrrrrrrrful, kind, knowledgable people of the area. Fun to learn from them. Take the time to get to know people, slow down and enjoy.

The foooodd...oh so good! We were there 8 nights and ate out all of them and no stomach issues what so ever. Taco Y mas we enjoyed the outdoor, feet in the sand with little yard lights twinkling atmosphere. Pollo Bollo (Chicken Bun) was sooooo very good and we ate here 3 out of the 8 nights. They have this Chicken and Ribs BBQ platter that my partner loved ...chick, pork, mashe taters, beans, rice, salad...for under $10.00 US. I ordered the Steak Fajita's a couple of nights and it's huge and good...for under $10.00 US and ended up just ordering 1/2 orders after that for Under $6.00 US and was still stuffed. The toritiall's everywhere are soooooooooo fresh. Made locally every day! YUM...I prefer the flour to the corn but both so good! Cafe Bahia right at the village pier does a great job on Omlete special and other comfort breakfast items. Very fresh, good and reasonable prices. Deb the gal that helps out there is so kind and a weath of info. She has her dog Scruffy there as a partner/ Mascot. what a cute, well behaved dog. She resuced him from being a starved beach dog and his loyalty to her is evident. They took our US $ and gave us the fair exchange rate so that was helpful. But most times we did try use Peso's. Pollo Bollo also gave us the current Exchange so we used US there...on the beach we pretty much always used Pesos.

If you reeeeeeally need a burger "fix" take a walk upriver to "the oasis." very good burgers. Nice atmosphere.

One night the entire village lost power but ..we had read in advance bring flashlights...which we had....no worries. The Eclipse was cooking by BBQ grill fresh fish and shrimp that was outstanding! Plunked down by candle light and had a wonderful meal for two including drinks for under $20.00 US.

Speaking of fresh fish...Yelapa has it everywhere in all the dining places and it's prepared so well at all of them..however...our fav was the Fish Taco's (key word fingers...they are the lightly battered ones) at Coco's Bar on the beach for about $1.50 US each...wow..soooooooooooo good! I need a fix now! We had them often along with their fresh Pico degallo!

So many good places to eat...you won't have any trouble finding "something"....

We picked up milk, break, cereal, juices etc..and ate off our balconey for breakfast alot of the days at our Casa Daniela.

the Tienda's (grocery stores) are very well stocked. All the food you have at home...they pretty much have there just in smaller quanities. They had fresh, fresh fruits and veggies delievered via Water taxi everyday. We also, were able to find a very good selection of white wine..and for those liking red saw them too and the prices were not bad. nice to have some vino from our fridge in our room all chilled to enjoy out on our balcony each night. Again...nice to have the fridge available in the room for wine, beer, snacks etc...

For the beer ...you buy it by the case at any tienda and pay the deposit . Get your deposit back when you return the bottles/case. I think we paid about a dollar a bottle (less deposit)...don't forget the limes. We like the Pacifico and the Corona was very fresh (at home we tend to end up w/ old skunky ones...)...salute! Slow down and enjoy!

Took a water taxi from the village pier over to Pizota one day for $3.00 us each way....they leave the pier at 9:30 a.m. drop you off at Pizota's beach and say they will be back at 5:15. There are three beaches to explore. Very pretty beaches. There is a cafe/tienda to your left as you get off the boat and from there go in and tell them how many will be eating and what time you want it for and it'll be ready. wow! the most incredible meal. Keep in mind it's rustic as in ...outdoor bbq stove with wood and chickens pecking below, hand press with the tortilla's wow...just the best meal of Fresh Fish w/ sides of beans, rice, pico, guac chips yada yada yada ohhh...and a few cold beers tossed in for about $10.00 us each! The sand here is fine and nice for walking on...the beach at yelapa tends to be more course...a bit hard on the feet.

Bring good, sturdy and most important COMFORTABLE shoes/sandals. you will be doing alot of walking and most of it on uneven surfaces (Cobblestone, steps etc...) I had my keens on and needed no other shoes the entire time. Perfect.

Lots of pretty floral everywhere....ocean/cove views beautiful. Bring your camera for sure!

We didn't take the time to Paraglide but had fun watching those who did.

The daytrippers come and go from Pto V all day long during the week. The beach vendors come out in hoards then....fun to watch them sell their wares. We got to chat with alot of them during their downtime. We have been alot of places so have most of the trinkets we need/want so we didn't buy a whole lot.

We tried the racilla....some places it's better than others...we really like the aged stuff. yum.

Took a walk to the Rosewood wood shop...fun to watch them work. I meant to get back and buy a pretty plate for $35.00 but forgot...will have to go back to Yelapa someday and do so. Gorgeous pieces of handmade bowls, plates, jewelry etc...

Took a walk to the village waterfall. Very pretty. Had a yummyyyy breakfast there before the tour boats arrived for under $6.00 us. Eggs Mexican style with bacon and toast and fruit soooo good and the sound of the waterfall just mesmerizing. Go...take it in before or after the crowds. there were little vendors set up there too selling there wares.

Ok...so there is probably alot more I could blab about ....I just know before January I had never, ever even heard of Yelapa ...started researching it and decided to "go for it" .....I had alot of questions and worries before going and had some good folks help me out...now I would like to pay it forward. I'll post some pix on the main paid when I get a minute. If you have any questions feel free to PM me....

If you are considering going ....keep in mind...they say turn your watch back 30 years...that is pretty accurate but...it's in a good way. You lose your worries and wonder why in the heck you have sooooo much "stuff" at home. You live so much more "simply" here...it's great. It's real...it's authentic. We loved it....I would say....ADAPT, AJUST, ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 07 April 2010, 16:27
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We tried it...we liked it. Yelapa

I was wondering how your trip went! Sounds like you really enjoyed Yelapa, give or take a few perro's. Thanks for the informative report. I'm really looking forward to seing the pic's. We just might make it back there someday.

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We tried it...we liked it. Yelapa

I posted like 20 pix that week but they still haven't made it to the site yet? Not sure how long it takes them to look thru them and hit the post button but hopefully it's soon.

Posted reviews for Pollo Bollo with a few pix as well as pix and a review for Cafe bahia too...

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We tried it...we liked it. Yelapa

HI all....my pix have been posted by tripadvisor on this site under..."photos'...sift thru the first few that are out of order from someone else in 2007 and then mine show up finally....enjoy!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We tried it...we liked it. Yelapa

Great report and fantastic pictures! They really brought back memories. I forgot all about the pie ladies!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We tried it...we liked it. Yelapa

Wow, thanks os much for your thorough description! We are going with our 3 teens (young, we like to think we are adventursome, but ... ?!?) in December and are so excited to try such a gem! We are deciding between the Lagunita, Casa Coco and Casa Santa Crz, any advise? We don't need to be on the beach, no need to be in the thick of the crowd, want the palapa experience but do need walls !!! (no hostels) Any advise ... thx again for all your experience (especially the "yums")

EVERYWHERE
Level Contributor
527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We tried it...we liked it. Yelapa

HI there...I am not sure what your budget is? But check out the website www.casainyelapa.com

For a group your size I think staying at the Casa Orchidea (sp?) would be good for a group your size. Lagunita is more of a "hotel' I believe.

We really liked going to the store and bought sodas, beer, wine, milk, cereal,coffee, bread for toast etc...breakfast items and hung out on our balconey alot and visited in alot had new found friends over for drinks etc...so this amount of room might be good for you???...otherwise...Casa Perico's is supposed to be AWESOME for families etcc..there are alot of Casa's out there that are just perfect for what you are looking for....

Fire away if you have more questions. : )

7. Re: We tried it...we liked it. Yelapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 05:17