We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

Which Bruny Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

Hi, I've been reading the forum, but still a little lost when planning the itinerary for my family of 2 A and 3 K (6, 11, 13yrs) for our early december holiday. I am hoping to let the older kids experience scuba diving, glowworm caves at Hasting, mountains and whitewater rafting, but dont seems to be able to fit them into 7 days.

We are flying in and out of Hobart, arriving on Thur and departing on wed. We intend to rent a car. Could your give me your advice on the following itinerary? Is it too much....there is so much to see and do....but only 7 days...:(

Thur- arriving at 1.05pm, pick car and drive towards Port Arthur. May stay at Eaglehawk or port arthur.

Fri - Explore Port Arthur, possible to do scuba diving? late afternoon, to drive towards Hobart. overnight at Hobart or somewhere near Hobart

Sat - Salamanca Market, Mt Wellington and whatever else. Drive towards Hasting.

Sun - explore Hasting. Do the Glowwarm tour. Drive towards Mt Field. Night at Mt Field.

Mon - Explore Mt Field.

Tues - Drive towards Hobart. Visit Cadbury Factory. Night at Sorell?

Wed - Visit Sorell Fruit farm. Towards airport for 1.35pm plane home to Melbourne.

Is this doable? Too much or too little. We are there from 6 to 12 Dec. Should I book accomodation in advance or there should be vancancy that we can be flexible with our itinerary.

Thank you in advance.

sal

Bega
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

Hello Sal,

Phew, Tasmania in 7 days! It looks like a small place but the roads are slow and winding! And there really is a lot to do in a small area.

So, I am pleased to see that you seem to have kept your options to the south east. I think really that what you are proposing is possible but here are a few extra thoughts that might help.

Accommodation generally - I don't think you will have much trouble finding a place if you don't book in advance.

Thur- arriving at 1.05pm, pick car and drive towards Port Arthur. May stay at Eaglehawk or port arthur. I suggest you take the coastal route from the airport to Dunalley via Carlton - it is more scenic and takes about the same time. You can get lunch in Sorell on the way - lots of options and supermarkets to stock up for the trip. Don't forget to stop at some of the beaches as you head down there. There are plenty of accommodation options from Dunalley all the way to Port Arthur and at Nubeena so you should find something that suits you along the way.

I would say you should be at Eaglehawk Neck by about 3pm. It could be good to stay here (Lufra Hotel, Eaglehawk Backpackers are two I can think of). From here you can explore the stunning coastal cliffs and beaches in the afternoon/evening- Pirates Bay, Tasmans Arch/Devils Kitchen (walk to Waterfall Bay or further, to Waterfall Bluff or Clemes Peak).

Fri - Explore Port Arthur, possible to do scuba diving? late afternoon, to drive towards Hobart. overnight at Hobart or somewhere near Hobart

You can easily fill Friday with Port Arthur, Remarkable Cave (nice beach at Safety Cove, just before you get there, and a good walk to Brown Mountain and Crescent Beach from Remarkable Cave - look out for Fairy penguin burrows on the way), also the loop road via Nubeena and out to the Coal Mine ruins at Saltwater River is pretty.

Alternatively that day, if you want to go diving, contact the Eaglehawk Dive Centre (http://www.eaglehawkdive.com.au/), or there is a nice boat cruise to Tasman Island from Eaglehawk Neck with birds, seals, sea caves and cliffs to see (http://www.tasmancruises.com.au/)

There is also an excellent local bird expert there who may be available for local walking tours - contact http://www.inalabruny.com.au/ if this interests you.. Actually, you could easily fill Friday and Saturday down there! But if you want to be back in Hobart for the market, I suggest you stay somewhere along the way on Friday night then finish the drive back in the morning - it is only about 1hr 15 minutes from Eaglehawk Neck to Salamanca Market.

Sat - Salamanca Market, Mt Wellington and whatever else. Drive towards Hasting.

- Salamanca is big and can take a lot of time to go all the way around. There is plenty of food on offer there for lunch and supplies. There should be fresh cherries appearing in December... I would say you probably won't leave Salamanca till early afternoon. Then it's a great idea to go up Mt Wellington. You will have great views back to the Tasman Peninsula to see where you were (if it's good weather!). I think you can then easily drive down to Geeveston or Dover in the late afternoon/evening. There are several places to stay in Dover, and it's nicer than Geeveston and closer to Hastings.

Sun - explore Hasting. Do the Glowwarm tour. Drive towards Mt Field. Night at Mt Field.

At Hastings you also have the pool and there is a nice walk not far away to Duckhole Lake - ask for directions at the Caves or Geeveston Visitor Info centre if you are not too late there. I don't know anything about the glowworm tour but you would need to be there at night for that, so maybe from Dover when you arrive.

If you want to go rafting down there, you could try http://www.aardvarkadventures.com.au/ for rafting on the Picton River, which you get to via Geeveston. Also up that way is the beautiful Hartz National Park with short walks to lakes, a waterfall, and a longer but quite easy one to Hartz Peak (if the weather is good and you have appropriate warm, waterproof clothes) - from there you will have views into the heart of the Tasmanian wilderness. Again, you could easily spend two days down here!

It will be quite a long drive from Geeveston/Dover back to Mt Field - about 3.5 hours I think and you will have to go via Hobart, but it is a pretty drive and can easily be done in the evening if you are not too tired - perhaps it would be good to book your accommodation ahead there if you plan to arrive late. I can recommend some nice cottages right at the national park entrance: I think they are called Russel Falls Holiday Cottages. From there you can easily walk into the national park and along the bitumen track to Russell Falls with a torch in the dark - switch the torch off and look carefully and you should see glow worms there too!

Mon - Explore Mt Field.

One of my favorite places in the world! There are several short walks at different altitudes branching off the road to Lake Dobson - all worth doing. I particularly recommend Russell Falls, Tall Trees Walk, Lake Dobson Circuit (Pandani Grove). If you have more energy the walk to Tarn Shelf is beautiful, or even go all the way to Mt Field West if you have all day. You must have warm and water repellant clothes for the high altitude walks even if it looks warm and sunny when you leave!

Tues - Drive towards Hobart. Visit Cadbury Factory. Night at Sorell?

I would say see if you can spend this day as extra time in the Huon Valley instead, or use it for Mt Field, driving to Mt Field from Dover on Monday via more of the D'Entrecasteaux Channel country and Cadbury's then, arriving at Mt Field not too late on Monday.

Wed - Visit Sorell Fruit farm. Towards airport for 1.35pm plane home to Melbourne.

You will probably find plenty of nice fruit farms around Mt Field to buy fresh fruit, but this could be a good filler for your last morning. I'm not really sure about places to stay round Sorell but it is not so far to drive out there from Hobart and then back to the Airport if you can't find anything.

You seem to like nature a lot so I think Tasmania will please you.

December can still be cool and rainy so make sure you take warm clothes and raincoats. I keep saying it! Have a good time!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

Wanderlings' very comprehensive answer will steer you in the right direction.

With regard to the scuba diving, it would be worthwhile contacting Eaglehawk Dive by email to discuss the issues of children's ages and the time needed for a worthwhile activity. I think it'll take a full day. Perhaps the fast boat around the Tasman Peninsula might be better. This local one is also available: http://www.tasmanadventurecruises.com.au/

The Cadbury Factory no longer conducts tours, but there is an "interpretation centre" and pay-to-enter shop. You could also consider a stop at Bonorong to see Tasmanian Devils on the way back from Mount Field.

I may be wrong, but I think the road from Sorell to Dunalley via Carlton deteriorates into a dirt track.

Luigi

Bega
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

The Carlton road is a gravel road for a few kilometres (6-8) but there are lots of these in Tasmania (including to some of the other places you were interested in visiting) so it's a good idea to get used to them if you want to see the nicest places!

They are a bit rough but fine to drive on if you don't speed and avoid the build up of gravel on the edges. If you need to move to the side to let a car pass, slow down! You won't get bogged, just rattled about a bit.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

The only place on Gus's list requiring travel on a gravel road is the last few kilometres to Hastings Cave. It's a well-maintained Parks access road.

Bega
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

In case it influences your decision to visit any of my suggestions, the road from the Mt Field visitor centre up to Lake Dobson is gravel, the road to Hartz Mountains is gravel, and the road to Duckhole Lake is also gravel. You may need to watch out for log trucks on the Duckhole Lake and beginning of the Hartz Mountains roads (before you enter the national park). At Mt Field it is only crazy drivers coming down too fast you need to watch out for. (But they can be on sealed roads too!)

Oh, and the road to the Coal Mines at Saltwater River is also gravel.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

Sorry, my aplogies. I thought we were dealing with Gus's list - not yours, Wanderlings. It's cool. :)

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,862 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

Hi Gus,

I like your itinerary, it's comfortable and you'll see a lot, and a lot has already been said. In your itinerary you don't mention hitting any gravel roads, and one thing you must check if you do end up driving on any gravel roads is to check your Terms & Conditions with your vehicle rental agreement. Some rental companies don't allow you or will put conditions on you when driving on gravel roads, also many won't allow their vehicles on ferries.

Check your T&C's.

Safe travels - robert

Edited: 13 August 2012, 11:09
Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

Dear Wanderlings2,

Thank you so much! You are even better than the lonely planet I am poring over now....thank you...i've printed out your advice and with that..... my family is set for our Tassie tour. You are right, we love nature. That's why it's been our dream to bring the kids to Tasmania. With sale flights from Jetstar, we can now afford to visit Tassie bit by bit each year.

Thanks Luigi & Rob, I've been reading all the advice you give to all in the Tassie forum. Thank you for taking the time to advice me on my itinerary. Yes Luigi, i'll get in touch with the diving company to see anything suitable for the kids. Thanks Rob about the gravel road issue, I did not realise we will be on gravel road. I will take note about the t&c....and drive carefully...thank you.

sal

9. Re: Advice needed on 7 days itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Bruny Island