We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day itinerary in winter (including the 3 hour cruise)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
1 day itinerary in winter (including the 3 hour cruise)

Hi,

Am thinking of dropping by Bruny Island in August for a day trip from Hobart, that includes the 3 hour tour from Brunny Island Cruise. We are also thinking of driving our rented car to the island via the ferry, and driving back at night.

1. Just wondering if anyone can recommend places that are good to visit in winter, that's not too far from the cruise tour meeting point? Preference for scenery, that doesn't require much hiking to see (as I am going with parents).

2. Is there a better day to visit the island - we are currently thinking Sunday or Monday (e.g. are things closed on particular day).

3. Is it dangerous to drive around the island after sunset (e.g. animals become active or something)? If so, what time is sunset in early August?

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,750 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day itinerary in winter (including the 3 hour cruise)

You can calculate sunset from this chart: timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

It's about 5 30pm in August.

It's most unwise to drive anywhere in Tassie outside the cities after dark. There are too many animals about. But the bigger issue is that there's only one ferry after that time. You wouldn't want to miss it. Had you considered staying overnight? That way you could see the penguins at the isthmus in the evening. :) www.brunyislandferry.com.au/timetable.htm

The cruise starts at Adventure Bay which has plenty to do. This page is full of info on what to do on Bruny: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g504285-s4/Bruny-I…

And more: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g504285-c139321/Br…

Most places are open all week, but Get Shucked is only open on weekdays in winter and the winery is sporadic too.

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day itinerary in winter (including the 3 hour cruise)

Just make sure you don't miss the last ferry 7pm, and have you checked the Terms and Conditions of your rental agreement with regards to ferry crossings?

Safe travels - Robert

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day itinerary in winter (including the 3 hour cruise)

Thanks all

I think I will go with Hertz, from their T&C that I found online, it said that you could take their car to Bruny Island. Have also taken it to Kangaroo Island before with no problem

4. Re: 1 day itinerary in winter (including the 3 hour cruise)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2017, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Bruny Island