We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car - where would I go for a day

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
433 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
renting a car - where would I go for a day

I'm arriving to Burnie on a cruise boat in March. If I rented a car where do you suggest we go? will be there from 7 AM to 5PM. Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,520 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

Take a look at this page for ideas: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g504286-c142998/Bu…

Luigi

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

Go to Lactos cheese factory, the recycled paper mill in Burnie. Take a drive along the coast to Penguin, but take the coast road. Have lunch in one of the nice cafes in penguin.

ny
Level Contributor
520 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

We will be in Burnie between 8 am & 6 pm and wish to rent a car to do our own excursion.

Thinking of drive up to Cradle Mt & Devils@Cradle. How difficult is it? Can we add the drive along the coast to Penguin & Guide Falls? We travel with 2 other couples, total of 6.

ny
Level Contributor
520 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

anybody??

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

I presume you have looked at the web reference given by Luigi ealier in this thread, where it was suggested that the Cradle Mountain day trip is 'difficult' unless you do it by organised tour. It is difficult to define'difficult' for you unless we know whether you are used to driving on the left hand side of the road, experienced with narrow , windy, roads and cope well with the stress of possibly being late back to the ship after being held up on a long drive! Hence the suggestion that it is indeed 'difficult'!

I would be taking an organised tour to CM or sticking to some of the suggested day trips closer to Burnie - lots of nice things to choose from! Have a great time.

Edited: 16 September 2010, 23:16
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,520 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

If you really want to self-drive to Cradle Mountain, this link has Tasmanian car rental companies: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-s304/Tasma…

However, it might be better to google "car rental Burnie" to find a local contact number or email. That way you will be able to organise to have the car delivered to the dock.

To get to Cradle from Burnie, drive out of the docks and turn right through the city and head west along the Bass Highway. About 7 km later, turn left and drive south on the A10 Murchison Highway until you get to the turn-off (signposted) to Cradle Mountain just before the Que River Bridge. Drive along this road and take one more turn right at Cradle Mountain onto the park access road. You pass Devils@Cradle on the right as you drive toward the Park HQ.

This is the ONLY way to get to Cradle from Burnie unless you hanker for interminably long and winding roads.

Luigi

ny
Level Contributor
520 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

Luigi, thank you for the direction. How long dose it take?

Tasmanian
Level Contributor
187 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

There is a tour called "Murrays Day Out"...that might be your best solution you know, just for one day!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,520 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

It's a bit under 1.5 hours to Cradle from Burnie.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: renting a car - where would I go for a day

Hi,

I highly recommend you go to Cradle Mountain if you have the time. it's only 1.5hrs drive.

So; if you arrive at 7am you will be at Cradle mountain around 10am the latest.

" There are over 20 different self guided walking tracks around Cradle Mountain & Dove Lake, ranging from 20 minutes to 9 hours.

The Dove Lake Circuit Walk is fab & not difficult. - takes 3hrs. (loop)

Arrive - 10am - finish - 1pm - drive back - 1.5hrs - however; you must take into consideration lunch...

If you are worried about time there are plenty of short walks in Cradle Mtn too.

Edited: 01 October 2010, 16:04
Get answers to your questions about Burnie