We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

Which Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

I am prone to some claustrophobia but would love to see the Mole Creek caves. How bad is it in there, is it really tight in some spots?

Any claustrophobics gone in there before, if so what was your experience?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

The two developed caves [only ones open to public as far as I know] Marakoopa and King Solomons have pathways and lighting, and King Solomon I did many many years ago was fairly large from memory - well lets say I can't remember having to squeeze through tight spots or anything dificult etc., but still quite spectacular inside.

. www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3530

There are apparently other tighter caves not developed or open to the public and they'd be more for the tighter caving experience you may not exactly want - http://www.wildcavetours.com/molecreek.html

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

Hi africanlion, as larcadvi says they arent that bad as they have been developed for visitors and tourists. They are well lit and generally well ventilated, so unless you suffer from bad claustrophobia you should be ok. I would still have a word with the guides there though just to get the all clear on the day, if you wanted to be 100% safe.

Cheers,

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

Africanlion, I'm going to have to disagree here. I think that if you truly suffer from claustrophobia, the last place you should go is Mole Creek caves. The entrance, in particular, is quite cramped and feels very tomb-like to me. I think you'll be apoplectic before you get three metres underground. To be safe, don't go there.

Luigi

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
518 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

I'm not claustrophobic, so rather than offer an opinion I'll let you decide.

The caves have formed steps, concrete paths & electric lighting.

Rather than artificially widening the caves, in places they require you to bend/twist a bit to get through narrower bits. Not really tight, but could be a challenge for someone who is moderately mobility impaired for example.

Usual approach is to give you a minute or so of total darkness (while standing still in an open spot) after first entering to allow eyes to adjust to lower lighting level.

Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

Thanks everyone. I dont know how bad my claustrophobia is as i dont put myself in these situations too often.

I have been in tourist caves before and was fine but dont recall any tight spots.

The Mole Creek caves look spectacular, i'd really like to see them. There is no way I am going to get stuck in there right.. if i can just tell myself that maybe I will be ok!

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

That's right, there is no way you can get stuck in there!

I'd still recommend at least letting the guides there know about your claustrophobia - I'm sure that they deal with that sort of thing regularly and know how to handle the situation!

Cheers,

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

Please don't go. None of us would want to be responsible for an inevitable catastrophe.

Luigi

Launceston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

Hi africanlion

I too suffer from claustrophobia and went out to the Mole Creek Caves last year.

I was only able to get inside the cave entrance, however the guides were absolutely fantastic and very supportive - from what I could see, once inside the cave itself is quite roomy. I intend to go back and have another try soon because I the group I was travelling with couldn't stop talking about how beautiful it was inside.

9. Re: Mole Creek Caves - Claustrophobic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...