We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

Which Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

Hello!

We're planning to do one or two walks at Cradle Mountain in mid February. Bearing in mind that we have a backpack carrier for our 2.5 year old daughter to lug around, which walk would you recommend, Dove Lake, Crater Lake or Marion's lookout? We like to walk, but I can't say that we're super fit :)

I also feel a little silly for asking given that it's summer, but do we just need raincoats or windproof fleece jumpers as well, or maybe just those thin microfleece ones? Thanks!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

I think that the Dove Lake walk is very beautiful and has well-made tracks and boardwalks. The other two are also good, but are a little more challenging.

There's also a good walk from Dove Lake back to the information centre.

Luigi

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

IME the weather in that area is so changeable that you would be well advised to take heavy fleeces as well especially seeing as you will have a little one with you. It can and often does snow around the area even in summer.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

I think windproof/waterproof jackets should suffice in February.

You probably won't need to wear them, but you should always carry them when walking in Tassie.

Luigi

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

Thanks for the advice. We'll keep these in mind when packing.

Australia
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

Marion's Lookout is a bit of a grunt - stepped for much of the way, but quite steep. Crater Lake is beautiful...but so is Dove Lake, which is better suited to a circuit than Crater Lake, and is quite sheltered.

Take extra layers - for warmth as well as waterproofing. Tasmanian weather is unpredictable, particularly at altitude, and can change very quickly.

It might also be worth looking at a good map of the day walks (available from the visitors centre at Cradle), as there are some other tracks that might be interesting as well, and could be incorporated into a more interesting route than just going around Dove Lake.

Hope you have a great time - it is a beautiful area!!

Edited: 21 January 2011, 05:02
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

Marion's Lookout definitely has some steep bits. We walked it via Crater Falls and Crater Lake, then returned via Wombat Pool, Lake Lilla and the Cradle Valley Boardwalk. It's a nice hike (took us 3:15), but I wouldn't want to do it lugging a kid. The Dove Lake Circuit is a better bet, but keep in mind it's 6.5 km, so will take about 90 minutes to walk.

melbourne victoria
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

hi,i'd take one of the shorter walks as some are very hilly and long as you say you will have a toddlet on your back and it can be tiring.in tassie it can get cool but as long as you have a windand waterproof coat all will be fine..

8. Re: Bushwalking at Cradle Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 05:31
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...