We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle Mountain Access

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cradle Mountain Access

Hi there

I will be staying 2 nights at Cradle Mountain in December 1 - 3. I gathered from the forum that there's a boom gate at the entrance of the park controlling the number of vehicles accessing the park. I also noted that there's a shuttle bus with the last departure from Dove Lake at 6pm.

I have acquired a $60 Holiday vehicle pass as I'll be visiting a few other parks in Tasmania.

My Questions:

1. The National Park site says that during peak period, cars may be prevented from passing the boom gate at Cradle Mountain despite having an existing park pass. Anyone knows what is considered peak period?

2. Assuming it is peak period and I can't bring my car in, do I have to pay extra for the shuttle despite having the Holiday pass? The park website isn't specific about this.

3. Is there a closing time i.e. must I exit the park at a certain time? There is so much to see and being summer, I would like to take advantage of the longer daylight hours to see as much as i can without being limited to catching the last shuttle at 6pm.

4. Does the shuttle allow wheelchairs to be carried/pushed on?

5. Someone in the forum complained about the high costs i.e. shuttle fee, parking fee, park access fee. Does the Holiday pass include parking or do i have to pay additional for parking at the car park e.g. near Dove Lake?

Appreciate if anyone could clarify the above.

Thanks

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cradle Mountain Access

Hi franz, your holiday pass should include parking and the shuttle bus. You will be encouraged by the NPWS to take the shuttle and you should. The road is narrow with few opportunities to pass oncoming vehicles. Not sure about wheelchair access, the bus we were on couldn't accommodate one but they may have one that does

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,025 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cradle Mountain Access

As Glenn says, the Holiday Pass includes the use of the shuttle. Take the pass to the info centre counter and they'll give you tickets for the shuttle.

"Peak periods" can be anytime, but usually means the summer tourist season. The boom gate counts the number of vehicles that enter and will not permit any more once it thinks the Dove Lake carpark is full. So, you could get lucky, but my experience is that the parking spaces are gone very early in the morning in summer.

Best to use the shuttle.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,511 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cradle Mountain Access

Hi franz_bbsg,

Further to the accurate info from Luigi and Glenn:

1. When the Dove Lake car park is full which happens very early in summer as most want to "beat the heat" and extreme UV.

2. Included in your parks pass.

3. Another reason to take you car in as unless you want to walk/push the chair the last shuttle is it.

4. I'm sure if you talk to the staff they will allow you to drive a vehicle in with a wheel chair rather than the bus and all the problems that entails as it isn't set up for chairs.

5. As for No1

Cheers,

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cradle Mountain Access

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your helpful answers.

Will take into account your advices in my planning.

franz

5. Re: Cradle Mountain Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...