We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

Hi all,

We will be doing a day trip to Cradle Mountain from Launceston Mid Nov. Was hoping to get some insights to help us with the planning and be better prepared for the trip and self-drive up.

1. Park Passes - I read somewhere that it is necessary to purchase park passes for entry into national parks in Australia. Is this applicable to Cradle Mountain and where to purchase from for people who are self-driving?

2. Are there anything attractions that we should also visit along our drive up from Launceston? I see Sheffield being one of the common stop overs in Day Tours to Cradle Mountain. Anything worthy there? (What time should we set off from Launceston?)

3. Any specific things to take note of for people who are self-driving up Cradle Mountain? Also options for lunch? Or we should pack our own from Launceston / along the way up?

4. As I'm pregnant and will not be looking to do long / tedious walks, any recommendations for must see trails / walks that we should NOT miss? Around Lake St. Claire, Dove Lake?

5. Any other features that we can look out for on our drive back to Launceston? Will probably see if we can plan a drop in at Ashgrove Cheese Farm.

THANKS in advance! =D

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

Hi Pixie :)

I can answer some of your questions

Re: Park Passes - you do need to purchase a pass for entry into any national park. Here is info on the costs etc: www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=914 You can buy one when you arrive at the national park at the Visitor Centre (2km before the park entrance) www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3317

2. Sheffield is a nice place to stop, it is known as the town of murals so there are those to look at and some historical spots and some shops. http://www.sheffieldtasmania.com.au/

3. Re the lunch options - there are a few along the way so you don't need to bring your own from Launceston. The Elizabeth Town Cafe (ETC) is just past the turnoff to Sheffield and has great meals and bakery type takeaways. http://www.etcbakery.com/etcbakery.html

4. Can't help you regarding the walks, sorry.

5. Ashgrove Cheese Farm is worth a visit as is the Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm. http://www.raspberryfarmcafe.com/

Hope this has been some help :)

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

Hi,

To add to the great info from scout 16.

To visit Cradle Mountain as a day trip from Launceston, or anywhere else, would be a terrible waste. Cradle Mountain needs at least a two night stay to sample the area. If this is all the time you have stay and enjoy some more of Launceston.

There are a number of places to eat at Cradle Mountain including a cafe at the Info Centre where you buy you Park Pass so you won't need to pick up the road kill on the way there.

There are some ver easy walks around Cradle Mountain Lodge and the Dove Lake circuit is easy with very little changes in elevation. If you are at Lake St Claire you have completed the Overland Track, (you need to look at a map!!). IME there isn't any such thing as "a tedious walk in Tassy".

Walking is very good for you when you are pregnant. Look at China after Mao's Long March.

Cheers,

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

>>To visit Cradle Mountain as a day trip from Launceston, or anywhere else, would be a terrible waste.<<

I agree, and if you are trying to avoid anything tiring and tedious (arduous?) then driving to Cradle Mountain for a day trip AND stopping elsewhere too during the drive I reckon is it. I see in your original draft itinerary Cradle Mountain was an overnight stop, what happened?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,984 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

I think the problem was also fitting Port Arthur in, MacKnee.

You will need the Parks pass long before Cradle Mountain anyway, pixielexie. You may as well buy it at Freycinet. The Holiday Pass is the best value for multiple park entries.

It's probably best to plan a different route in and out. I'd go in via Mole Creek and visit 41South salmon and ginseng farm, honey factory at Chudleigh or Mole Creek, Trowunna if you have not been to a wildlife park yet.

I don't think you need to stay long at Cradle Mountain if you don't wish to walk far. Take the shuttle bus in to Dove Lake from the visitor centre. The cost is covered by the Holiday Pass - which you should carry with you into the visitor centre.

Return to Launceston via Sheffield (murals) and Railton (topiary) and visit Ashgrove Cheese after getting back onto the highway at Elizabeth Town. It's about 1km north of where the road from Railton joins the highway. ..... So, just to emphasise: visit Ashgrove on the way back. :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

Thanks for the very insightful tips everyone!

Luigi, would we need the pass to go up to Mt Wellington too? If that is the case, I will need the pass on my first day in Hobart.

Where would I be able to purchase the pass in Hobart?

Thanks everyone! I've had such great help from here! It's a blessing! :D

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

Hi Pixielexie,

Sorry for my delayed response, playing tour guide again for visitors. You have lots of great advice above, with Mt Wellington you don't need a pass.

If you do go through Sheffield make sure you stop at the Fudge Shop, very nice -

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g504325…

Walks around the Cradle area, one walk in particular which is a short and a very nice walk, is the Enchanted walk, 20 minutes in total and quite often along the path are wombats.

I was at Cradle Mt on the weekend, from the Cradle Mt Lodge to Dove Lake we counted 8 wombats (middle of the day) with one baby wombat, very cute.

Parks passes are available from the following areas -

National park passes are available from:

1. Our Online Parks Shop (Only Holiday passes are available online at the current time)

2. National Park Visitor Centres

3. Tasmanian Travel Information Centres

4. Spirit of Tasmania

5. Service Tasmania Shops

Service Tasmania Shop in Hobart -

www.service.tas.gov.au/about/shops/…

Hobart Travel Centre location -

20 Davey Street, Hobart 7000 (Corner of Davey St. and Elizabeth St

More than one day at Cradle Mt is recommended, but one day is better than none :o)

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 07 November 2013, 21:06
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,984 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

Mount Wellington is not part of the National Park system, so you don't need the pass there. But as Rob says, it may be convenient to buy the pass at the Tourist Info Centre in Elizabeth Street in the city.

8. Re: Question for planning trip to Cradle Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...