We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

Which Devonport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

My husband is back working here on and off over the next several months, and I have joined him for the last 2 weeks

We have had dinner at Drift twice now and both times the food has been excellent. Definitely the best restaurant in Devonport hands down.

Booking would be a good idea especially in summer 64244695

We have had the calamari both times as it is as light -and the best calamari I have EVER eaten. We also had the quail as an entree.

For mains the pork belly melts in your mouth. The menu is not large but there are some daily specials as well. It is situated in the new complex on the Mersey Bluff, so at night you see the Spirit of Tasmania glide by the door !

Food 8/10 Ambience 8/10

When summer kicks in they are going to have to do something about the people eating take away in side the small restaurant - other than that no problems.

45 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

I knew there'd be a little bit of Devonport there somewhere, Rojaan. And welcome back again. :)

Luigi

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

Thanks Luigi, it has been a little bit chilly here in the north east for us Queenslanders ; )

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

Drizmal in Launy, too. :(

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

I'm going home Wednesday - be back for the cherries in January !

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

I knew you'd mention cherries. ;-)

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

You are psychic Luigi .....

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

OK I had my last lunch at Drift for this trip. The place was jumping - heaps of take away business, mostly staying outside with the takeaway tables.

The menu has changed - so it is good to see that they are not sticking to one set menu. We both had the new pork dish - fantastic - just like the previous one. And Ron had the tom yum soup - not traditional - but 5 * from drron. : 0

We shared the raspberry cheesecake - very decadent.

-Hope this place keeps up the good standards - I will return in january !

Ann

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

You have got to be kidding!! BEST restaurant??? in Devonport. I would hate to eat at any of the others. Am a tourist visiting from Brisbane and friends just took me there today for lunch. Ordered the trout and some vegetables which cost $18, expecting to get a decent feed, given that this appeared to be the inside sit down section of a beach side fish, chips and burger outlet.

Instead I got a couple of small slices of beautifully arranged trout with some artistic dabs of mayonnaise and three very thin slices of crisped potato arranged to stand upright in this. All presented on a huge plate with dressing drizzled around the edges. The actual food - you know the part you eat, rather than the decorative drizzles - took up one fifth of the plate size.

OK, this kind of rip off is sufferable if the ambiance is good and the clientele chic, however neither was the case. The view of the beach was good, however the loud conversation of the other patrons which echoed from the low raw concrete ceiling and the constant scraping sounds of the chairs being re-arranged made conversation almost impossible. We were by far the best dressed in the restaurant so chic it sure was not. Basically pub ambiance.

When I complained to the female staff member behind the bar about the portion size I was treated in a smug and patronising manner. Having taken our money in advance of the meal possibly they were used to such complaints. If I'd had the option of paying after the meal I know that I would have returned it when it arrived at the table and refused to pay for such a small amount.

Possibly people in Devonport are prepared to put up with this sort of rip off, and think being over-charged in a place that has pretensions to being classy is some sort of social status statement, however I think Brisbanites do expect more value for money, and can spot a rip off when they see one!!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

Thanks, Marit. "Best" is a relative term - as you know. Reviews for Drift are here: tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g504292…

The consensus of those reviews so far is that Drift is probably Devonport's best restaurant.

You could submit a review too, if you wish.

Luigi

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now

Well Marit, when I was there in September it was the best restaurant in Devonport, and I have eaten in most of them.

I will be back in Tassie next week, so I will check out Drift again.

Reply to: DRIFT - best restaurant in DEVONPORT now
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Devonport