We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big supermarket in Devonport?

Which Devonport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Big supermarket in Devonport?

Hi I would like to enquire if there are any big supermarkets in devonport where I could stock up before going up cradle mountain. Which way is the easiest way to go up cradle mountain during winter in june? Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,663 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

Yes, there's a big shopping centre with a well stocked Woolworth's supermarket, and a Coles supermarket as well as specialty stores on Best St.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,909 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

The Woolworths & Coles Shopping Centre as YorkFoodie states are on Best Street, also approximately 200 metres west down Best Street then right in to Williams Street is a shopping village called The Fourways, with the specialty shops I believe YorkFoodie is also referring to.

The easiest way to Cradle Mt in winter is via Sheffield, Cethana, Moina, then on to Cradle Mounatain, this is the only route they snow plough if the snow is heavy, route link below -

https://goo.gl/maps/c2irX

They only have to clear the snow of the roads approximately 4 to 5 times a year, still be aware of possible ice.

Safe travels - Robert

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

Is this the same route for those who are driving from hobart to cradle mountains?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,663 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

No Rob, in the shopping centre with the Woolworths there was a newsagent, butchers and bakery that I recall, may have been other shops but those were there.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,104 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

The route to Cradle Mountain from Hobart DOES NOT go through Devonport. There's a link to a map in the Top Questions on the right of the Tasmania forum page.

If you need to stock up on groceries, do it at Deloraine.

And to be more direct, why set out to go to Cradle Mountain from Hobart? It's a bumm numbing 5 hour drive. Plan ahead. Devote more time to your visit. Devote more time to PLANNING your visit, and go to Cradle Mountain while you happen to be in the north of the state. It is not a viable jaunt from Hobart.

And in the Top Questions on the Tasmania and Cradle Mountain forum pages there also happens to be instructions on how to get to Cradle Mountain from anywhere.

Luigi

Edited: 04 March 2014, 05:54
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,104 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

And also, Mike_Teo , it would have helped to have a more detailed outline of your plan. I'll confidently guess that everyone assumed you were arriving on the ferry in Devonport. Why not mention that you were driving from Hobart. What is the rest of your itinerary?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,909 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

Sorry YorkFoodie, you are correct I thought you were talking about the Fourways,.

Adding to Luigi's comments, since you'll be travelling in winter, plan as said, some of the passes along the Midlands Highway can be iced, and on occasions even closed.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

Oh sorry for the miscommunication. I asked about the route from hobart to cradle mountain because I have drove up from hobart to cradle mountain before and the route is quite fine to drive during winter and I wonder if I am going from devonport, the route is going to be the same from molecreek as it must converge at some point in time.

I have already planned my itineary as follows:

Day 1 - Devonport

Day 2 & 3 - Cradle mountain

Day 4 - Launceston or Hamilton farmstay (have not decided yet)

Day 5 - Richmond farmstay

Day 6-9 - Hobart

Day 10 & 11 - Swansea

Day 12 - Bicheno

Day 13 - Launceston

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

May I know why is it better to stock up in deloraine? Is there any big supermarket in deloraine?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,663 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big supermarket in Devonport?

I think Luigi's suggestion was made because he was under the impression that you would be driving from Hobart, and the road from Hobart to Cradle Mountain does not pass through Devonport.

Reply to: Big supermarket in Devonport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Devonport