We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please

Greetings fellow travellers

Looking at a week stay off the beaten track, staying on the east coast, where we can walk, eat good food, sit back and relax with a bottle of wine and a good book.

Thinking February on King Island

Any ideas or recommendations on things to do, places to eat, etc etc.

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,185 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please

Not sure how long you're going for, but this will help: http://www.kingisland.org.au/

If you're staying near Grassy, try King's Cuisine: http://www.kingscuisine.com.au/

And maybe a platypus tour? …wordpress.com/tours/…

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please

Hi DK, unfortunately King Island isn't a foodie paradise, and in particular the east coast has nothing, except the Grassy Club. It is however famous for its produce. The best meals we had on King Is we cooked ourselves. The steak is magnificent and the dairy...... the cream!!

It is a great place to relax,read and walk though.

King Is has some excellent beaches, Martha Lavinia is a world renowned surfing beach and the beach at Disappointment Bay is one of the nicest beaches I've ever seen. There is another beach, whose name escapes me, which was the scene of Australia's greatest peacetime disaster, the sinking of the Catarkie, over 400 lives lost. Very moving.

I guess the upshot is, in seven days, you will have the most relaxing holiday and see all King Is has to offer. It isn't somewhere most Australians go because it is not on the road to somewhere else.

I applaud your holiday destination.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,185 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please

I think the Cataraqui was wrecked on the west coast just south of Currie in Fitzmaurice Bay.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please

Fitzmaurice would be the site of the wreck

not only the cream but cheeses

in fact I think eating grass on King Island would be good

as that is what makes the meat and dairy so good

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please

Thanks everyone

Looking forward to driving and walking the beaches and features of the island.

I'll be 70 while we're there so a good place to celebrate.

Rocky Glen where we are staying has a good reputation for its restaurant so that takes care of dinner, as for daytime food, KI Cheddar has to be my all time favourite cheese with a fresh crunchy bread roll and salad.

Happy travelling

Reply to: Advice please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about King Island
Recent Conversations