We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
630 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

Hi

I read the previous posts about the choice in companies.

We would also like to do the cruise but have 2 children who will be 7 & 8.

I was thinking of the World Heritage Co with premium seats (near window), only issue is it doesn't say that you can choose window seats. Upper deck has some seats in the middle.

Any comments on above?

Does anyone know how long the stops are for? Do you get off the cruise?

Would 7 & 8 year old drive everyone up the wall being bored???? If the cruise stops and we get off, I think they would be fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

It depends on your children I guess. The cruise does stop at Sarah Island for probably about 45 mins (where you do get off for a history lesson and a walk around the island, which is very interesting for adults) but apart from that you're on board the boat. From memory, we weren't allocated seats - it was just a case of choosing your own on arrival but people did move around the boat throughout the trip and just sat at their seats to eat lunch etc. The commentary is interesting but your children probably wouldn't find it so unless they're into history at that young age! The food was great! Really, only you can know whether your children would cope and enjoy the trip. My brother-in-law was bored when he did the cruise so it's not just children that are prone to boredom!

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

Hi,

My husband and I both found the cruise too long and were bored by half way through. Our kids would not have enjoyed it.

Hope this helps.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

The children would probably enjoy the 'Dismal Forest'

much better. They can whiz down the shute and discover things at the bottom. I think that it is more geared for children.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
630 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

Well thanks for your help. I am thinking that it would be too long for them.

What is the Dismal Forest?

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

Hi Qld aussie, me again!

Dismal Swamp is a State Forest reserve, in the NW cnr. About 30mins west of Smithton. It is an old sunken blackwood swamp that has been done up by the Forestry commission. The kids would enjoy the slippery slide shute, that you can use to reach the bottom. (forgotten its length) but you are insertedinto a bog, wear a helmet to slide down. It is fun an exilerating. You can also walk or get a ride on a shuttle vehicle if not gameenough for the slide. It has very interesting arty structures around amongst the walk, and unique wooden animals hidden amongst the foliage along with other interactive displays.

Personally, for the price ( I think it was around $25) we didn't like it when we visited 4 years ago, But it was during a very dry summer, so there was no swap or signs of animal life. The artwork etc was fine. Everyone to their own likes etc.

Just do your own research.

Depending on your itinerary, something I have just been told about which your kids would probably enjoy is a place called "Zoo Doo". Apparently it is near Richmond (inland from Bicheno). Just Google it!. It is referred to as Australia's zaniest zoo. They recently acquired 2 bengal tigers, and have lots of different animals, apparently, including albino wallabies. Check it out anyway.

Have you heard about The Seahorse World at Beauty Point NW of Launceston? It is the only seahorse farm of its kind in the world.

Cheers for now

Mentioned in this post
Seahorse World
Seahorse World
708 Reviews
Beauty Point, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

I think from reading the replies that it is very much dependant onyour children and you! Me and my husband have been twice when family have visited us inTassie and are going a third time this year. We love it! We have so far been with Gordon River Cruises and next time are trying the World Heritage, though both look pretty similar. My neices and nephews ages between 10 and 18 all enjoyed it (although the gameboy came out some of the time!) But there is a real variety of fast exhilerating speed (especially if you go on the open top deck!) and slow serene movement up river (perhaps the bit children like least) The Hell's gate is fun and we stopped both at Sara Island and the Heritage landing so got off twice. Lunch was included too so that broke up the return journey from upriver.

So, really depends on you! One comment said they were bored but we were not so......sorry probably not much help!

Mentioned in this post
Gordon River Cruises
Gordon River Cruises
1,135 Reviews
Strahan, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
630 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

Thanks to everyone's comments. I have decided to book the cruise.

For other families who may be interested, I sent an email off to the Cruise Company and they have also said that on the World Heritage Cruise (the one I booked) that they have some kind of play room, probably nothing big, might only be a box of toys but should help out a bit.

My son will take his Nintendo as well and they did say there were two stops.

For anyone else booking with a family. There are a few table seats in Premier seating that you can book, I have booked one of these, good for eating & lunch etc.

I don't really think I will be bored on the trip and we didn't do it last time, so I thought it was a must do this time.

8. Re: Gordon River Cruise with kids ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 21:16