We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gordon River Cruises and West Coast Wildnerness Train Tour

SOUTH FLORIDA
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Gordon River Cruises and West Coast Wildnerness Train Tour

We will be traveling to Australia from the USA in March, 2013 and spending 11 nights in Tasmania among other places. Two of the nights will be spent in Strahan because we plan on doing the Gordon River cruise and taking the West Coast Wildnerness Railway tour. That brings me to my questions. Apparently, there are two cruise companies that operate from Strahan. One, the World Heritage Cruise company (which I think is a locally run operation) and the Gordon River Cruise. Was wondering if anyone has had experience with either and which one you would recommend. The last part of the question concerns the Railway tour. Since we'll be driving into Strahan from the east (Queenstown), was wondering if the scenery seen on the train tour will be any different than what we'll be seeing from the car?? Has anyone taken this tour? I've attempted to find out tour times but not getting any responses to my email to the booking company, Pure Tasmania. Thanks in advance for any input.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,723 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gordon River Cruises and West Coast Wildnerness Train Tour

I have done the river cruise with both companies. They're almost identical. I'd use the local one. :)

All the times are on the booking page for the train. www.puretasmania.com.au/default.asp?pID=46

It's a one way trip by train from either Strahan to Queenstown or from Queenstown to Strahan, with a return by bus. A train leaves Strahan at 10 15am and another leaves Queenstown at 11am.

There MAY be afternoon trips at 2 30pm IF there are enough people wanting to do it. There usually are in March, but the company may not yet be sure.

The scenery is the same, just backwards. :)

Luigi

SOUTH FLORIDA
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gordon River Cruises and West Coast Wildnerness Train Tour

Thanks Luigi. I was wondering if the scenery is the same in the train as in the car driving the same route

SOUTH FLORIDA
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gordon River Cruises and West Coast Wildnerness Train Tour

Thanks Luigi. I was wondering if the scenery is the same in the train as in the car driving the same route

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gordon River Cruises and West Coast Wildnerness Train Tour

IMO the scenery going from Queenstown to Strahan by road is not the same as going by the rail. The road scenery is more open and sparse. The railway journey has the highlights of the temperate rainforest around the train, the history of the railway workers and their camps, railway stations, the amazing ABS rail system, river views, waterfalls, bridge crossings and of course the train with great commentary from the staff. If money is not an issue go Premium Class.

tripadvisor.com.au/…REVIEWS

Agree the 2 cruises are 6 to one half a dozen to another, money spent on World Heritage goes to a small local company and the money spent on Gordon River goes to a much larger company. If you do get time try and get to the local play in town, The Ship that Never Was, very good and a bit of fun especially with kids.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g504331…

Safe travels - Robert

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,723 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gordon River Cruises and West Coast Wildnerness Train Tour

The drive from Queenstown to Strahan is one of Tasmania's worst winding roads. You won't enjoy it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gordon River Cruises and West Coast Wildnerness Train Tour

Agree with Rob - Premium class on the train if possible - we really enjoyed the train trip and you travel through some great scenery. We all enjoyed the The Ship that Never Was too, even the teenagers with us.

7. Re: Gordon River Cruises and West Coast Wildnerness Train Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 09:15