We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

We are driving around Tassie in a motorhome with kids. Staying the night at Cradle Mountain and then going on to Huon Valley. Seems it's too long a trip without a stop for a night somewhere.

Thought about Strahan - is Strahan to Huonville an ok drive for a day?

Is there an alternative stop on the way to Huonville? Sounds like Strahan would be good for the dunes and river cruise?

cheer

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,723 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

Strahan to Huonville would be about 5.5 hours in a car - and a bit longer in a van.

Take a look at New Norfolk on the way from Strahan to Huonville. Or you could head down toward Mount Field National park and stay in the Westerway/Ellendale area.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i21911-To_Ne…

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

Where you stay the night after leaving Cradle Mountain really depends on what time you get away and how much time you have overall. I would highly recommend a visit to Strahan but it would be possible to have a great day cruising up the river then get a head start on driving before you set off for Huonville. Even though you have a van I would suggest you might really enjoy a cheap and cheerful night at say the Empire Hotel in Queenstown (have dinner and breakfast - the food there is delicious) then you've saved yourselves that windy 40 km from Strahan to Queenstown and can get going early and enjoy the drive across the mountains, past the lakes. If you time your trip you could take the kids for lunch at the Salmon Ponds and have a really good break there before carrying on to Huonville. One thing for sure - you'll want to avoid having to come through Hobart during evening peak hour traffic on your way to Huonville. Enjoy your trip. You'll be passing through some wonderful country.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 00:57
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

we've already booked a site at Cradle Mountain for a night and then we have a free night between that and a night in Huonville (after which we fly out).

Getting from Cradle Mountain to New Norfolk (although it does sound good) doesn't seem much shorter than going to Hobart and it would mean we wouldn't be able to stop and do much in strahan?

No way to avoid going through Hobart to Huonville? So just avoid peak hour?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

I would simply recommend 2 nights at Strahan, so you can do a cruise and take the kids to the great play "The ShipThat Never Was"

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g504331…

http://www.worldheritagecruises.com.au/

http://www.gordonrivercruises.com.au/

Safe travels - Robert

Edit: sorry didn't see your post #3

With only 1 night available, you could still see the play, the kids would love.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 01:30
Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

Hi Alec,

I know what travelling with kids is like, you might find the link below helpful.

http://tinyurl.com/Tas-Toilets

Safe travels - Robert

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

Check that The Ship that Never Was is on if you are travelling over winter. We were there in May last year and they were on their winter break.

Tassie is a fantastic place for kids, you will have a great time. If you are around Launceston make sure you do the Hollybank Treetops Adventure - zip lining - we all loved it.

Safe travels.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
1,437 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

Another vote for trying to stay overniight at Strahan.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

Good point ToddlerTales, Alec the times for The Ship That Never Was -

Where: At the Strahan Amphitheatre, next to the West Coast Information Centre

When: Every Day at 5.30pm (Sept to May)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

Yep i think if we plan to leave cradle mountain early enough in the morning, we can make the morning cruise and then the 5.30 play for the kids. Stay the night in strahan and drive to Huonville the next day.

Where is a good place to stay in a campervan in strahan?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cradle Mountain to Huon Valley via Strahan

Tree tops adventure in launceston is on the plan although the little kids are kinda scared when i showed them:) we have an 8 yo and 4.5 year old twins - will the little ones have to go with us on the zip line or with the guide? I think they[re too small to go on their own.

And thanks for the toilet map!!! we are travelling in a campevan and they are well and truly "house trained" - so hopefully won't need an emergency....but very useful link!