We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
121 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

I understand you can't take photos due to the fact that it can scare the penguins. What about if you turn the flash off? Although they may not come out very well because it is dusk. It would seem to be the whole point of going is to get an amazing photo op.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

sorry, no photography allowed at all.

www.penguins.org.au/index.php…

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

Obviously the blast of paparazzi flashes would detract from the experience of sitting quietly and watching the Penguins come in. The only way to photograph them is with a high-end camera on a long exposure (requiring tripod etc). I would suggest that official photographers would possibly be able to get permission in certain circumstances but not general public. It's been a while since I did a philip island tour but here in South Australia you can see penguins during the day easily and get photos of them in daylight..possibly you can do this as well at Philip Island?

Perhaps there will be postcards available for purchase - I would be surprised if visitors could not take home some illustrative souvenir.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

I suspect the reason that photography is banned is that too many people do not know how to turn off the automatic flash on their dinky cameras. Or that some will just be selfish oafs and use flash anyway.

It really is too dark for effective photography when the penguins come ashore in any numbers: it's the very end of dusk just before full night.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

I just did the Bicheno penguin tour where you could take photos. They were very adamant that if you didn't know how your camera works or you couldn't turn off the flash, you could NOT take photos. Luckily I had my digital SLR where I could fiddle around with the settings a bit, so I got a shot! It's very difficult though because there's no natural light (guide's torch only) and the penguins don't sit still for long, so long shutter speeds are out.

Better just to buy the postcards I think. :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

all photography at the Phillip Island penguins is forbidden outside of the visitor centre. never used to be the case - as SNick said, too many people just took photos regardless of flash and so they banned it entirely.

the whole point of going out is to see these amazing little birds in their natural habitat - not to take photos!!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
121 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

Thanks for the responses everyone. This subject helped me conclude that this excursion from Melbourne is not for me. Have fun for all those who do make the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

Notice OP is from Orange County too. We are going to MEL in June and driving out to PI on our own.

FYI there are also penguins that nest along some jetties in the St. Kilda area. You can google it to find out more. I don't know about camera restrictions; they probably prohibit actual use of flash to avoid disturbing the penguins and visitors.

Mentioned in this post
Orange County
Orange County
California
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

what a shame OC

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
527 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

Inside the reception building at PI they have stuffed penguins in glass cases that are set up to make it look life-like.

I took a couple of shots on my phone and you cant tell the difference.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
121 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you take photos without flash of penguin walk?

LOL! Very creative. I like it!