We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phillip Island - just for the penguins

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Phillip Island - just for the penguins

What is the most affordable way to get to Phillip Island from Melbourne CBD area and to see the Penguin Parade?

I'd rather not rent a car.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phillip Island - just for the penguins

Probably a day tour ask at your hotel they will be able to organise one for you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phillip Island - just for the penguins

Car rental or bus tour. I'm not aware of other options (but I'm also not a local).

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phillip Island - just for the penguins

I know you've said that you don't want to rent a car, but I just wanted to advise you that it was cheaper to rent when we went in Feb. It may be worth looking into that.

When I spoke with the tourist advisor at our hotel this is what he advised, because although the tours are more convenient for people they are also more time consuming (some tend to drive around for an hour or so to pick locations) and you have to stick to a strict time schedule and itinerary. One or two of them also include things you may not be interested in doing like going to the crap chocolate factory, going to the neighbours set or doing a nature walk.

When we got to penguin parade we spent most of the evening there, when we came out we did actually notice (because of the tourist advisor comments) that the coaches had all left, this was about 10:00, so they couldn't of spent much time there viewing the penguins.

I'd really advise you to do some research into both options and book what you feel is more suitable.

FYI with regards to other transport, you can't get a train there and if I remember correctly it was something like 3 buses and then a long walk and you certainly couldn't get a taxi there (maybe after the 3 buses) - also the one bus service was an early finish that wouldn't of worked for us!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phillip Island - just for the penguins

Public transport isn't an option unless you want to stay on the island overnight & your accommodation has a shuttle to the Penguin Parade.

If there's more than one of you, renting a car will give you more flexibility as well as probably being more economical. It's an easy drive down to the island.

If it's just you & all you want to see is the penguin parade, then the Little Penguin Bus is probably your best option. They have good reviews here on TA & leave later in the day.

5. Re: Phillip Island - just for the penguins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 23:16