We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip- Philip island or Mornington Peninsula??

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip- Philip island or Mornington Peninsula??

Hi

Travling from India in July, I want to make a day trip from Melbourne and would liek to know which is a better option between Philip Island and Mornington Peninsula?

My priority would be to get as diverse Australian experiences as possible- KAngaross, Koalas, Penguins, Dolphins, Vineyards etc. Please suggest which of these 2 is a better option?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip- Philip island or Mornington Peninsula??

Hi Sin23,

I live on the Mornington Peninsula and it is beautiful and full of wineries and lovely beaches, but I think you should definitely travel to Phillip Island where we also visit often. The main township of Cowes is just another touristy town but the coastal beaches around the Island are magnificent. Smiths Beach is the most popular for swimming but also beautiful for a walk. If you take a bus tour you will be able to see the Penguin Parade which is a must as the little fairy penguins come up the beach at night to their burrows. You can see koalas at the Koala Park and you can see all the Australian animals at the Phillip Island Wildlife Park. It is pretty run down to look at but all of the animals are there and you can feed the kangaroos and wallabies. The Knobbies are spectacular and would no doubt also be included on a tour. All achievable within a day. If you want a better wildlife park, however, Healesville Sanctuary is lovely, as is the Moonlit Sanctuary in Pearcedale (not far from Mornington Peninsula). Hope this helps.

Thamizan

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1 post
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip- Philip island or Mornington Peninsula??

We did both, but I think that Phillip Island certainly had more of what you are looking for in a compact area. Mornington is rather large, but Phillip Island has everything fairly close. Have fun! We did a premier tour with the penguins, and that was worth the cost simply because they gave us binoculars. It would have been very difficult to see them coming out of the water without them.

3. Re: Day trip- Philip island or Mornington Peninsula??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Phillip Island