We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

Dear People @ TripAdvisor

We are going to reach Melbourne on 16-Sep morning after 14 hour long flight. I was thinking if we can quickly rent a car, say by 2PM, and do penguin parade. Please advice if this is sounding to be a feasible option - considering that it will take about 2 hours to reach and then we want to come back to Melbourne CBD after the parade.

Looking forward to your thoughts please.

Warm Regards

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

>>We are going to reach Melbourne on 16-Sep morning after 14 hour long flight. I was thinking if we can quickly rent a car, say by 2PM, and do penguin parade.<<_____No.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

Thank you for your response MacKnee - how much time do you suggest we plan for Penguin show? The reason why I sound so anxious is that we are going to be in Australia only for 5 days. Must do's that we have thought of will consume at least 1 day each at GOR & Sydney.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 17:16
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

What other things are you wanting to do, we could suggest a better time to fit in the penguin parade.

The problem with your current idea is you will be arriving here after a very long flight, jet lagged, on unfamiliar roads and staying awake for another 14 odd hours. Very dangerous to consider driving in those conditions for yourselves and other road users.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

we had an instance not too long ago of an OS visitor driving straight from Sydney airport to some destination south of us.

he fell asleep and veered off the road.

luckily he and his family survived.

sadly two local motor cyclists travelling in the opposite direction whom he hit, didn't.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

Thank you for your responses, the following is a ToC for my itinerary:

16/9 : Arrival (AM), Penguin Parade (PM)

17/9 : GOR

18/9 : SYDNEY (Early AM Flight to Sydney, day tour, Late PM Flight back to Avalon)

19/9 : Melbourne City/Werribee Zoo

20/9 : Melbourne City

21/9 : Early AM Departure

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

I would swap this around as you are bouncing to each side if the city currently. I'd look at doing this:

Day 1-arrive, Melbourne City

Day 2-city in the morning, Penguin parade in the afternoon

Day 3 - Sydney

Day 4 - GOR

Day 5 - Finish GOR and do Werribee Zoo on the way home.

Day 6 - Fly home.

You can't really do the GOR in one day if you are starting and finishing in the city. If you are flying into Avalon airport from Sydney this is not the same airport you will arrive in internationally, it is a small domestic airport but it is a little closer to the start of the GOR and you can hire a car here.

With only 5 days you need to be very efficient with your timing and this itinerary will stop you driving from one side to the other all the time.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

Just to add that this itinerary would require you to spend overnight on the GOR and also near Avalon airport the evening you arrive back from Sydney. If you don't do this I really don't see your itinerary being feasible, it's too much in too little time, you will spend the whole time in the car with no time to see anything.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

Thanks a ton "L0stris" !! This was very helpful and quick

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

GOR in one day? Driving yourself? No. Day trip from Melbourne to Sydney? No. You have listed some popular things and used the term "must do's". What are your main priorities? For example are you really interested in penguins or do you want to go there because it is a so-called "must do". What are *you* interested in? If you really want to cover a lot of popular attractions in a short amount of time then taking coach tours might be the safest most efficient way. Two different cities in five days? Very rushed, but if you can't visit Sydney on another trip and see it properly then at least use your time more efficiently and fly out of Sydney back home, not backtrack to Melbourne again. Jetlagged tourists speeding around trying to navigate unfamiliar roads while gawking at the sights is not what we encourage. There is a local road safety campaign that goes "Stop, Revive, Survive".

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Half day Drive to Penguin Parade?

with due respect I think that itinerary in post #5 must take the Australian TA Forum Blitzreise Award for 2013.

how do people come up with these?

glad I wont be on any victorian road around that time.