We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day itinerary

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
One day itinerary

We are going to Melbourne first week of Sept and would like to do a day trip to Phillip Island for the penguin parade. We'd also like to stop somewhere to see koalas and other animals up close and maybe do a scenic hike or two. The Nobbies looks good but not sure how close that is to the rest of the attractions. Does anyone have a suggested one day itinerary? (I realize some of you may suggest that this is not enough time but we really can't do more.)

Also how early should we book a rental car and our penguin tix? Since it's still end of winter and low season, could we wait until we got to Melbourne or would we have to do it in advance?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day itinerary

I can recommend Cape Woolamai for a scenic walk (it's a loop track) - not too taxing and marvellous views - but of course this depends on the weather!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day itinerary

Phillip Island is relatively small and only takes about 20 mins to get from one end of the island the other, e.g. San Remo , across the bridge and to the main township of Cowes. You will see on the map that there is an information centre almost upon entry to Phillip Island which is a great spot to get some info and local knowledge. If you miss it, don't worry, there is another info centre in the township of Cowes.

This map might give you a more detailed view and marks the major tourist spots. coastalstays.com/phillipisland/PhillipIsland…

For your needs, the Koala Conservation Park is ideal but I can't remember if it's koalas only. Otherwise, you can visit the small (& relatively run down) Wildlife Park which has kangaroos, wallabies, wombats etc. You can also hand feed some of them but pls be aware it is not a concrete zoo and in Winter, the ground will be muddy. But it is a compact park that has everything an overseas tourist needs in one park.

The Nobbies and the Blowhole are worth visiting for a short visit too but it will be very windy so take a wind jacket. Not sure if you're interested in Churchill Island (Australian farm).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
282 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day itinerary

Thanks so much for the good info... any advice on whether we will need to rent a car in advance or book our penguin tix in advance? The idea behind waiting is to see what the weather is like and choose the warmest/least wetting day to do the trip, but I've heard that the penguin tix may sell out (not sure if that's only for high season or year round).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day itinerary

I'd say in September you could wait & book once you know what the weather is likely to be. Melbourne weather (& consequently throughout much of the state of Victoria) is notorious for having 4 seasons in 1 day, so be prepared for some cold wind at the Penguin Parade.

Rental car bookings can also wait but these tend to get more expensive if you book last minute. Having said that, be sure to check what price each company can do as there can be big differences. A couple of years ago Ibooked a rental car in Tasmania for a very good price, gave it back, then needed one for a day after a couple of days' break. The same company now wanted $80 for a one day rental while i found another major company who rented one to me for about $30!

The major companies here are Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot & Thrifty.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day itinerary

I agree with Robol, just wait and see re the weather. Have a great trip. p.s. you might even have some fun visiting the Coles supermarket in Cowes to buy some Australian groceries to sample, e,g. vegemite (on toast with butter & optional avocado), Tim Tam chocolate biscuits, Anzac biscuits, macadamia nuts etc. There is also a weekend market but not sure if you will be there on a weekend?

6. Re: One day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2016, 08:17