We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

We are planning to stay at "peferred"cabin next month very first time and would like to know advices what should we take with us to this place to stay for a week?Bug spray? Fishing rods?Swimming suits?How far away is the swiming pool from cottages?We also would like to know is this Rose Lake far away from Park cottages? How about SNAKES????

Any grocery stores near by?How about dining around here-any family -style,etc.?What is the wheather for june here? How far cottages away from each other?We saw park "map",but it doesn't give all that information,so any help will be appreciated!!!Thanks for your help!

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
722 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

Where to begin???

From what I've seen, most cabins are within easy walking distance to the pool. There is also lots of parking by the pool if you choose to drive to it. Swimming suits???? Seriously? Clothing is not optional, nor is it provided. Yes -- you must bring your own.

You will need to drive to Rose Lake. I assume if you want to fish, you'll need to bring fishing rods. You can also fish at Lake Logan, rent a pontoon boat, and get bait at Down's bait shop right on Lake Logan Rd.

Dining? There's a restaurant at the lodge that offers a buffet. For family dining, you may want to head into Logan. Fine dining (i.e $$$) is offered at The Inn at Cedar Falls, Glen Laurel Inn, and a few other small places in the hills.

Cottage proximity to each other? I really don't recall them being very secluded, but there's lots of large trees that provide privacy.

Grocery stores? Your best option is to shop in Logan at WalMart before you go out Route 664. You're going to get off Rt. 33 at Rt. 664 anyway. You'll see WalMart at the intersection. If you want beer, you'll have to go to Kroger or a local drive-thru because WalMart doesn't sell alcohol.

Weather? C'mon. You're from Cleveland. It's the same weather. Just add 5-10 degrees.

Snakes - definitely a possibility, but it's not like they're everywhere you look.

Go to HockingHills.com or 1800hocking.com for more information. There's also a new app on the iphone -- just do a search for Hocking Hills.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

Thank you so much for information! Did you met snakes in the area or near the cottage?Where should we watch out for them?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

Is anyone having a pictures of the State Park cabins area at Hocking Hills?

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
722 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

I've never seen snakes while hiking. I had one in my office though. :) It was five foot long but totally harmless black snake.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,528 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

Other dining options are the Dutch Pantry-- they have a buffet (or used to) across 33 from the visitors center. Also, along Rt 33 you'll find a conplex of craft malls, flea market (on the weekends), antique shops and a diner. Near Rockbridge-- The diner is owned by an Italian couple and the food is really good, plentiful and very reasonable. Millstone BBQ is along 33 as well and friends in the area love it.

Any state park cabins I've stayed at (not these in particular) are quite basic and not private. They will be better than camping, less "nice" than a private cabin.

Have been to HH many,.many times and have never run across a snake. Ohio is not riddled with poisonous snakes, so I wouldn't fret that one.

Bug spray-- yes! Make sure to get something with Deet in it. TIcks are plentiful in the area-- lots of deer to carry them. We HAVE run across ticks often as opposed to snakes. Use the spray... and check for ticks when you are back from any hikes. Nothing to worry over, just be aware.

Also, if you are not a Walmart fan, there is a Krogers in the town of Logan.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

Thanks for your help!

oh
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

I have stayed at the state cabins several times. Very basic but comfortable. They are not right on top of each other so you will have some privacy but you definitely are not isolated. Nice value for the money.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

Apparently there are 3 poisons snakes in Ohio, 2 of them have tails that rattle. Not trying to freak anyone out

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
722 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

There are probably many more non-poisonous snakes around here. Odds are that you could spend an entire week here without seeing any at all.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time at Hocking Hills State Park- need your help!

Thank you! Very helpfull info!