We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

My wife and I will be driving from Millersburg to Madison IN in October, I know we will have to use I71 but any suggestions on the most scenic way to get onto it.I could go 39/60 then 97 or south on 83 then 16 through Newark. Also, anybody here driven along the Ohio River from Cincinnati to Madison IN.I'm only working from maps but that's the way I'm leaning at the moment.Any help would be appreciated.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

I don't know where Madison, IN is, but if it's near Cincinnati, then I'd suggest 39 west to 71, then just head south. I'm really looking forward to your trip report about Ohio Amish Country. Where did you decide to stay near Millersburg?

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

Thanks OhLynne,

We will be staying 3 nights in Millersburg at a place called Garden Gate Getaway B&B. Sounds nice and friendly and another place to meet and talk with some locals.Just 3 weeks now until we leave Australia for our big holiday in America, getting excited.

Warsaw, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

Hi Aussie: How many hours are you planning on allowing getting from Millersburg to Madison? Where abouts were you wanting to get on I71? US 62 from Millersburg to Utica is classified as scenic on Ohio maps. In Utica you can get on 13 that takes you into Newark. Or stay on 62 thru Utica to 661. Can get on 16 in Granville area or 661 to 37 thru Lancaster,22 to Circleville (Largest Pumpkin Show last part of Oct). If you stay on 22 far enough it gets you to just east of Cinci. This is maybe more driving than you are looking for tho. This will definitely let you see a lot of the country side tho

Lots of history in these areas

Hope this helps

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

Thanks for your input,Nancy.I'd like to go all the way,like you said, right down to 22 but time might beat me.If you say 62 is scenic( my map shows 83 as scenic)I think I'll come down that way to Newark and see how our time is and if it's a bit slow then I'll cut back onto 71 to speed things up.I am thinking about 6-7 hours is ok but I'd like to get to Madison by 4ish.It's a bit late tonight but I'll get my tomtom out tomorrow and see what times it calculates each way.Do you have any idea of times?

Warsaw, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

Aussie:The map I have is 2007 "Official Ohio Transportation Map", lol.Shows 83 S from Millersburg to Clark as scenic which is probably about 12 miles, however I have been on 83 all the way to Coshocton & it is nice scenic country hwy You could stay on 83 all the way to New Concord (home of John Glenn) & get on I70 to Cols & hit I 71 there. Even tho that part of 83 is not designated as scenic on map, it definately is.Approx mileage from Millersburg to New Concord 50 miles via 83.

The Zane Grey Museum is right off I70. I 70 pretty much follows old route 40 which was known as the National Road. Lots of pottery places & antique shops right off I70 on old 40. If you go thru Zanesville, they have the only "Y" shaped bridge in the world. (At least it was, don't know if that's still the case)

From Millersburg to Utica via 62

approx 45 miles.

If you get on Yahoo, then maps you can get directions and mileage pretty much step by step.

Feel you will have a scenic drive pretty much any way you decide to go, of course I am prejudiced.

Hope this helps. If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Warsaw, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

Aussie: Found this www.dot.state.oh.us

thought it might be useful, has road construction information & road conditions. Might help you in deciding your route.

Keep in mind most of these are rural areas & travel might not be as fast as expected, i.e., farmers on farm equipment, highway workers, Amish buggies & lots of tourists in the Amish country around Millersburg but that will thin out dramatically just a few miles out

Sydney,Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

Thanks Nancy,you've been a big help. The Yahoo maps are great,quick and easy to use.

8. Re: Aussie driving from Millersburg to Madison. IN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 14:23
Get answers to your questions about Millersburg