We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time over

mrgargal
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time over

This will be my wife and I's first trip over to PIB. so I do have a few questions. We are going the first week in Aug. We tried to get a weekend but rooms were pretty dry so we opted for a Sun through Wed.

First. Will the island be dead during this part of the week? I know it wont be like the weekend crowd but Half? quarter?

second. Which bars have the more wild and crazy parting?

Third, Take the car or drag the suitcases on the ferry. I have heard both but all the online stuff says no car. I know the island is small but is it really that bad for cars?

Thanks for the help

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time over

My wife and I along with a few friends just went there for the 4th of July week and had a blast.

For the time frame that you are going things may be a little slower than the weekends. But PIB is a party island, so you will always see at least a little action in the bars. Especially over the summer.

The best bars are right down on Delaware Ave: Mr Eds, Roundhouse Bar, Frosty's and the Boathouse. The Roundhouse and Frosty's are cool bars to hang out during the day. If you want to get your dance on later, then head to Mr Eds or the Brewing Co. (on Catawba Avenue). Also Mr Ed's has a Tiki bar that has a pool that you can cool off in during the day.

A lot of people would say leave the car, and if you don't have a lot of luggage then you can rent a golf cart right there near the ferry. But I say taking your car isn't such a bad idea. You can pull right up to your rental and not worry about dragging suitcases around. Also since things won't be that busy from Sun thru Wed, you should be able to find a place to park near the main drag downtown. We usually parked in the lot right there on the corner of Catawba and Delaware in front of the General Store. You can also use the car just to cruise around the island and see the sites.

On those nights where you guys are wanting to get out and party I would highly suggest grabbing a taxi. For about $6 they'll take you almost anywhere on the island. Well worth it to avoid driving while under the PIB influence.

If your wife is ok with mopeds, I would suggest getting a couple of them for a day. Talk about fun! Be careful though, they can get up to 35 mph. If you rent a golf cart I would suggest cruising west on Bayview Ave by some of the cool lakeside homes for a nice relaxing ride.

I'm sure you guys will have a blast!

HFPO (Have Fun and Party On!)

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time over

i was goign to say the same thing, you can take the MIller Ferry (instead of the jet-express) and take your car. you can park downtown and walk around as well, parking shouldnt be a problem. that time of week wont be packed, but it wont be dead either.

3. Re: First time over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Put in Bay